Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Richard.Wills on April 28, 2020, 07:42:40 am

Title: Cleaning undeveloped film
Post by: Richard.Wills on April 28, 2020, 07:42:40 am
We're a small lab in London, and are restarting our film processing service, as mail order only for the time being. We're planning to let all postal packages sit for three days, to allow potential virus to expire.
I was wondering about spraying 35mm cassettes, and undeveloped 120 rolls with Isopropyl alcohol as a method of speeding up the cold hard killing of any nasties. Any thoughts as to whether 99% IPA would cause any damage to the film?
Title: Re: Cleaning undeveloped film
Post by: design_freak on April 28, 2020, 08:14:35 am
The ozone generator is ideal for this purpose
Title: Re: Cleaning undeveloped film
Post by: Richard.Wills on April 28, 2020, 10:38:41 am
Thanks,  but I think I'll skip that one - https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners#harmful-ozone - we don't have a fume cupboard.
Title: Re: Cleaning undeveloped film
Post by: capital on April 30, 2020, 09:49:18 pm
Seems No-Go, IPA is considered a solvent. (https://www.kodak.com/uploadedfiles/motion/US_plugins_acrobat_en_motion_newsletters_filmEss_12_Storage_and_Handling.pdf) Besides, drenching film will cause mechanical changes and unknown chemical reactions depending on contaminants resident on the film surface.
Title: Re: Cleaning undeveloped film
Post by: Richard.Wills on May 01, 2020, 09:28:40 am
Thanks Capital,
I was also wondering about its effect on the paper backing (and the printing on it), and figured it probably wasn't the best way to go.
I'll also skip the use of UVB from our alt process exposure unit.

And thank you for introducing me to  the sling psychrometer. I will have much fun with this one.
Title: Re: Cleaning undeveloped film
Post by: BobShaw on May 01, 2020, 07:33:23 pm
Why not just wear gloves? Any virus on the film won't survive the solutions and the cans go in the bin.
Title: Re: Cleaning undeveloped film
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 02, 2020, 09:53:33 am
Why not just wear gloves?

+1
Title: Re: Cleaning undeveloped film
Post by: Richard.Wills on May 03, 2020, 04:17:51 pm
Must stop overthinking things.

Gloves.