Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: John V. on April 25, 2020, 06:41:57 am

Title: I'm confused. Are prints suppose to be this durable? Paper suggestions?
Post by: John V. on April 25, 2020, 06:41:57 am
The other day I was watching YouTube videos about removing paper curl and I came across the "de-roller" products/methods. I was confused by how carelessly the prints were handled in some of the videos. For example:

https://youtu.be/Xg89mCa2-1g?t=284
https://youtu.be/0tmqOqg_H3o?t=70

I usually have to handle my prints like Dr. Emmett Brown changing the plutonium in the DeLorean to avoid any sort of scuffing and scratching, kinking, etc. Am I missing something here? Is it common to handle prints like they are in the example videos?

On that topic, what are the most durable papers/materials you've printed on? That also produce good quality prints...

John V.
Title: Re: I'm confused. Are prints suppose to be this durable? Paper suggestions?
Post by: mearussi on April 25, 2020, 06:54:13 am
Depends on the paper type. RC Luster is pretty resistant to surface scratching which it's so popular for everyday prints that get handled a lot. Other surfaces like Baryta, glossy and all matte papers scratch very easily. Between both of those extremes are the Platine type papers with a slightly textured surface that also resist scratches and fingerprints but are more delicate than Luster.
Title: Re: I'm confused. Are prints suppose to be this durable? Paper suggestions?
Post by: dgberg on April 25, 2020, 08:45:41 am
The other day I was watching YouTube videos about removing paper curl and I came across the "de-roller" products/methods. I was confused by how carelessly the prints were handled in some of the videos. For example:

https://youtu.be/Xg89mCa2-1g?t=284
https://youtu.be/0tmqOqg_H3o?t=70

I usually have to handle my prints like Dr. Emmett Brown changing the plutonium in the DeLorean to avoid any sort of scuffing and scratching, kinking, etc. Am I missing something here? Is it common to handle prints like they are in the example videos?

On that topic, what are the most durable papers/materials you've printed on? That also produce good quality prints...

John V.

I think he gave his disclaimer. (His assistant that normally holds the corners was filming.) Almost impossible doing what he was trying to do with one pair of hands and a large curled print.
I have a de-roller and would not be without it. Not sure it is necessary to do what he is doing with the brush but each to his own.
Title: Re: I'm confused. Are prints suppose to be this durable? Paper suggestions?
Post by: John V. on April 25, 2020, 12:19:22 pm
I think he gave his disclaimer. (His assistant that normally holds the corners was filming.) Almost impossible doing what he was trying to do with one pair of hands and a large curled print.
I have a de-roller and would not be without it. Not sure it is necessary to do what he is doing with the brush but each to his own.

Totally understood. Just an example. I noticed that prints were handled kind rough in most similar videos, so I was just curious..
Title: Re: I'm confused. Are prints suppose to be this durable? Paper suggestions?
Post by: Randy Carone on April 26, 2020, 03:33:52 pm
When I used to sell inkjet paper I was curious about the claim of some suppliers of RC papers that it was 'water resistant'. I took a 13 x 19 Premium Luster print that was thumb-tacked on my office wall and carefully dropped a few drops of water on the print. Wiped it off and - nothing. Eventually, I escalated to running water directly on the print and watching it flow off. The ink was Epson pigment ink. Wiped with paper towel and - nothing. I was impressed. Durable stuff.