Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: PeterAit on April 21, 2020, 09:39:00 am

Title: My book
Post by: PeterAit on April 21, 2020, 09:39:00 am
My self-published book has finally arrived and I am very pleased with the quality of the product. The printing is meticulous and I am mystified how they got all the colors absolutely perfect without soft-proofing etc. 50 pages on 100# paper, hard cover. I used a company called Bookmobile and working with them was very pleasant. They were a bit cheaper than a couple of other places I investigated. It was a lot of fun, selecting the photos and designing the book.
Title: Re: My book
Post by: RSL on April 21, 2020, 10:32:24 am
Congratulations, Peter. Is it a book about rocks? I did one once -- about people. There are three copies of the hardbound in existence, but it's also on the web at http://www.russ-lewis.com/photo_gallery/Penny_Arcade/index.html. Interesting how the web can reach so many people.
Title: Re: My book
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 21, 2020, 10:44:46 am
Congratulations, Peter. That book will give you satisfaction for a long time.

-Eric
Title: Re: My book
Post by: Alan Klein on April 21, 2020, 03:32:26 pm
Good job Peter.  That's terrific.  Could you review costs etc.?  Is there a place to see some of the inside shots? 
Title: Re: My book
Post by: PeterAit on April 22, 2020, 04:35:37 pm
Thanks y'all. To answer a few questions--

It is not about rocks per se, just all sorts of (mostly) nature shots from all over.

It ended up costing about $30 a copy, perhaps a tad more.

I am making a web page to show the photos in the book and will post here when it is done.

Title: Re: My book
Post by: Peter McLennan on April 22, 2020, 07:44:16 pm
My self-published book has finally arrived and I am very pleased with the quality of the product. The printing is meticulous and I am mystified how they got all the colors absolutely perfect without soft-proofing etc. 50 pages on 100# paper, hard cover. I used a company called Bookmobile and working with them was very pleasant. They were a bit cheaper than a couple of other places I investigated. It was a lot of fun, selecting the photos and designing the book.

Your cover looks great.  Looking forward to seeing more of the inside.

At $30 a copy, that is cheaper than my Blurb books by an order of magnitude.  What are the page dimensions?  How many copies did you have printed?

I agree on the fun part.  Making your own coffee table book is tremendously satisfying.