Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NateWeatherly on April 16, 2020, 05:45:08 pm
-
Does anyone know of any papers that are similar to (or the same as?) Hahnemuhle Museum Etching? I use it for wedding/portrait print box "albums" because it just has such a wonderful tactile quality, but it really is eye-wateringly expensive. I used to buy the rebranded Canon packs, but there doesn't seem to be any more of that around. The closest thing I've found so far is Red River's Palo Duro Etching, but it's still not as thick or soft and the more ragged texture doesn't lend itself as well to smaller handheld prints. Any other extra thick cotton rag papers around?
Thanks!
-
I share your pain. This was one of my all time favorites.
I switched to Canson Edition Etching about 6 years ago and haven’t looked back.
It is also 100% cotton, even more durable in regard surface flaking, and uses pigment brightners, excellent longevity, and sharper resolution. Not quite as thick, but still over 310 gsm.
The Epson Legacy version is the same and less expensive, most of the time. If you want to compare order a sample 8.5x 11 and print on it.
John
Does anyone know of any papers that are similar to (or the same as?) Hahnemuhle Museum Etching? I use it for wedding/portrait print box "albums" because it just has such a wonderful tactile quality, but it really is eye-waveringly expensive. I used to buy the rebranded Canon packs, but there doesn't seem to be any more of that around. The closest thing I've found so far is Red River's Palo Duro Etching, but it's still not as thick or soft and the more ragged texture doesn't lend itself as well to smaller handheld prints. Any other extra thick cotton rag papers around?
Thanks!
-
I second trying Epson Legacy Etching.
Dave
-
I also use the Canson Infinity Aquarelle Rag paper. Artist really love this paper probably has a bit more texture than the Etching material but still a very gorgeous paper. I gave up on all Hahnemuhle papers years ago, just had to replace far too many prints from flaking. I much prefer the Canson line of papers now. However they are also not cheap.
-
I was just speaking with Jim Doyle at Shades of Paper, he has some stock in the discontinued Arches 340 which run about half the Museum Etching cost.