Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Nathanwalker on April 08, 2020, 06:20:01 pm

Title: Nikon 58mm opinions
Post by: Nathanwalker on April 08, 2020, 06:20:01 pm
I own the Nikon 58mm. But I just can't get into it as a focal length and I'm failing to see what's so special about it even after much use compared to the 85mm counterpart. Maybe I'm missing something... Any thoughts on where it excels in your experience? Cheers.
Title: Re: Nikon 58mm opinions
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 09, 2020, 04:06:36 am
I own the Nikon 58mm. But I just can't get into it as a focal length and I'm failing to see what's so special about it even after much use compared to the 85mm counterpart. Maybe I'm missing something... Any thoughts on where it excels in your experience? Cheers.

What 58mm are you talking about?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Nikon 58mm opinions
Post by: Nathanwalker on April 09, 2020, 05:18:00 am
1.4G cheers
Title: Re: Nikon 58mm opinions
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 09, 2020, 06:06:34 am
1.4G cheers

OK, then one usage where it shines is for environment portraiture a few meters away.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Nikon 58mm opinions
Post by: rogan on May 03, 2020, 07:03:07 pm
If someone gave me one I would sell it. I really disliked this lens on the D850. AF was terrible as far as accuracy. No amount of calibration worked. Might work better on the Z but haven't had one since I got the Z. Didn't find anything special when it did hit focus either.
Title: Re: Nikon 58mm opinions
Post by: Petrus on May 06, 2020, 02:37:12 pm
OK, then one usage where it shines is for environment portraiture a few meters away.

Absolutely true. I had one when still working (company supplied gear), and just loved it. Amazing bokeh at full open.
Title: Re: Nikon 58mm opinions
Post by: kers on May 07, 2020, 04:27:00 am
I used it some time- It is a specialty lens- not 45MP tack sharp but very deep colours and very nice bokeh.
Too expensive - 500€ would be a good price.
Title: Re: Nikon 58mm opinions
Post by: T1MC0LE on May 11, 2020, 06:07:09 pm
I'm not sure if you use imaging-resource at all but i find their sharpness reviews quite useful for all sorts of lenses.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/nikon/58mm-f1.4g-af-s-nikkor/review/