Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on April 08, 2020, 01:30:05 am
-
Tough day today. Felt good to get out and find some space and see the moon rise.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49748530196_6b97db304f_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iN7dPf)
-
Nice luminosity balance with the foreground. Care to share technical details?
-
Good one.
-
Nice and perfectly handled!
-
Nice and perfectly handled!
+1.
-
Nice luminosity balance with the foreground. Care to share technical details?
Thanks! I don't mind at all.
Pentax K-1 mkII and a vintage manual Pentax A* 300mm f/4 that went out of production when I was in middle school.
Single exposure, 1/8s, f/8, ISO 100
My secret trick (shhh don't tell anyone) to balanced luminosity is going the day before true full moon when the moon looks full and usually rises right around sunset.
Last night moonrise was at 7:23 and sunset was 7:36 which is a pretty good alignment, timing wise.
I rode my bike from the house a couple of miles to the creek I frequent and hiked up the nearby small-ish mountain to a spot I had chosen using the TPE app to align the moon with some of my favorite peaks looking East toward the continental divide.
It was gusty so I shot 20 or so frames to be sure I got the manual focus right and I didn't get any motion blur. I used my tripod, blocked the wind with my body, and shot with a remote.
I enjoyed a beer up there too while waiting and singing Nick Drake to myself. Shed a few tears too for my friend Bob who passed yesterday from the virus and his teenage daughter who doesn't have any parents now. Thought about John Prine too. Tough day yesterday.
-
Matt,
I am terribly sorry for your friend and his daughter. I can imagine the pain. I have a 21-old daughter and I have just recovered from the virus.
-
... Pentax K-1 mkII and a vintage manual Pentax A* 300mm f/4 that went out of production when I was in middle school.
Single exposure, 1/8s, f/8, ISO 100
My secret trick (shhh don't tell anyone) to balanced luminosity is going the day before true full moon when the moon looks full and usually rises right around sunset...
Yes, that is my "secret" too.
I was asking for tech details as I often struggle with the right exposure time. Or better to say, I forget to pay attention to it. In the shot bellow, I was going for a long exposure to smooth the ocean waves, forgetting how fast the moon actually moves. It was a 15s exposure, f/8, ISO 100.
I call it A Touching Moment ;)
-
Thanks. I'm glad you made it through, for you and your family!
That's still a really cool shot with the moon blur. I've done composites in similar situation where I want water blurred and a sharp moon but I usually prefer a single exposure for simplicity's sake.
-
Matt, I am also very sorry about your friend and his daughter.
And Slobodan: I'm so glad you are recovered. We need you around here!
-Eric