Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Hans Kruse on April 06, 2020, 12:31:21 pm

Title: Dunes in the light
Post by: Hans Kruse on April 06, 2020, 12:31:21 pm
Shot in Death Valley in March 2014. I love these dunes and I'm sure I will return yet another time (I have been there 3 times now).

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49742982391_b7aa8ddb31_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iMBMDr)Dunes in the light (https://flic.kr/p/2iMBMDr) by Hans Kruse (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hkruse/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Dunes in the light
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 06, 2020, 06:06:49 pm
Lovely!

Which of the three dunes is it? Stovepipe wells is the only one I've shot.
Title: Re: Dunes in the light
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 07, 2020, 04:32:04 am
I like the soft and subdued background, complements the lit dune quite well.
Title: Re: Dunes in the light
Post by: francois on April 07, 2020, 05:15:51 am
Fantastic vista. I like that you only had a few footprints on the sand…
Title: Re: Dunes in the light
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 07, 2020, 06:41:54 am
Lovely!

Which of the three dunes is it? Stovepipe wells is the only one I've shot.

They look like the Mesquite Dunes near Stovepipe. Eureka Dunes and Ibex Dunes take some driving to get to. And the others require hiking. For a list of the dunes in DVNP, see http://www.panamintcity.com/

Title: Re: Dunes in the light
Post by: chez on April 07, 2020, 10:12:13 am
I love the composition with the two dark ridges. Really nice image.
Title: Re: Dunes in the light
Post by: Hans Kruse on April 07, 2020, 01:19:34 pm
Thanks very much :) And was indeed shot at Stovepipe Wells.
Title: Re: Dunes in the light
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 07, 2020, 05:38:30 pm
As I recall, the best time to shoot Stovepipe is early morning after a windy night (which clears the footprints.)
Title: Re: Dunes in the light
Post by: Hans Kruse on April 08, 2020, 04:22:09 pm
As I recall, the best time to shoot Stovepipe is early morning after a windy night (which clears the footprints.)

Morning is great and I found sunset very good as well. The footprints as you say can only be avoided after a strong wind. In this I tried to used the footprints as part of the composition.