Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: RBFritz on March 31, 2020, 07:39:53 pm

Title: Zion
Post by: RBFritz on March 31, 2020, 07:39:53 pm
On the way home from AZ to be quarantined I shot this from the bridge over the Virgin River in Zion. Thoughts?
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 01, 2020, 03:52:00 am
I like how the light highlights and falls on the valley, surrounded by the darker margins.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: francois on April 01, 2020, 07:40:31 am
I'm with Paulo on this… I like it a lot and just wish to have a tiny bit more room at the top of the frame.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: RBFritz on April 01, 2020, 03:49:02 pm
Thank you Gentlemen. I wish there was more sky at the top too. In my defense it was a get the shot get off the bridge kinda thing.Comments much appraciated.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: francois on April 02, 2020, 06:52:03 am
Quote
…it was a get the shot get off the bridge kinda thing…

I do understand you! Other than more room at the top, I like the very natural light a lot.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: brandtb on April 03, 2020, 10:04:15 am
What's in the frame (various elements) has potential as a composition. The real problem(s) are the exposure issues throughout. First, there are areas so dark that "for all intents and purposes" they are blown out to black. Did you want near silhouettes of objects? Second, the brightest things in the frame are two rock right at the bottom of the frame - so one's eye goes to the brightest objects and basically out of the frame. Are they really that interesting? Are these rocks the most important things in the frame? I would try to consider what (and where) are the important things in the frame and make exposure adjustments to accentuate these - it doesn't appear that this was considered(?) in this version. The two trees are really nicely shaped elements - the one of right is well exposed but one on left is basically black. These trees and the river bend/water plus plus the peak in bg and sky are great possibilities as a composition- but the under/overexposure is working against image coherence.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: RSL on April 03, 2020, 10:55:50 am
I'm with Paulo on this… I like it a lot and just wish to have a tiny bit more room at the top of the frame.

+1. It is what it is, and it's good.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: RBFritz on April 09, 2020, 09:11:16 pm
brandtb thanks for your input. I will stay with my rendition because the dark and light echo paintings from an earlier time. I have some captured at a brighter exposure but the sandstone banks(yellow) are blown out. Thanks again for your thoughts, critique and for looking.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: Alan Klein on April 10, 2020, 09:34:55 am
I like the contrast.  I think eliminating some of the black on the left would be good though.  It seems to pull my eyes to it rather than the river.  Also, unless my eyes are being fooled, the picture seems tilted to the right.  Nice shot. 
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: RBFritz on April 10, 2020, 07:38:06 pm
Alan that bothered me too until I realized the tree and the peak are vertical. It's an obstinate illusion. Yes probably more could be removed from the right , I'll try it. Thanks.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: RBFritz on April 10, 2020, 07:47:36 pm
Okay I messed with it some more and made the tree and peak more vertical and took away some of the right side as well as the illusion. Thanks, I think it does look better.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: RBFritz on April 10, 2020, 08:17:18 pm
I mean left side.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: Alan Klein on April 10, 2020, 08:24:39 pm
Yes, I think it is better. 
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: francois on April 11, 2020, 06:46:57 am
Cannot say that the "new" version is better but I prefer it. The squarish aspect ratio is perfect for that shot.
Title: Re: Zion
Post by: RBFritz on April 11, 2020, 12:35:54 pm
Thanks again ,Gentlemen.