Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 30, 2020, 04:03:23 pm

Title: Lock Down Photos
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 30, 2020, 04:03:23 pm
We are only allowed out of the house for one hour per day now and only then for exercise, but luckily (for me) this means I can take my hour of daily lock down exercise strolling across our nearby and completely deserted beach on Skye, if the tide is out of course. So, no tripod, no camera bag, no extra lenses, no remote release, no filters, nothing, other than a camera hanging around my neck and a steady stroll across the beach snapping away at whatever I could see as I kept on walking - and how refreshing it was too, going out with just one camera, one lens, one memory card and only one hour to snap as many shots as I could during my allotted time, without too much thought and at anything and everything that caught my eye.

OK I know most of you guys are probably stuck in an urban environment and my heart really does go out to you all, but if you think there isn't anything you can shoot during your lock down exercise hour, then just take your camera along with you as you go for your walk and just snap shots of whatever you see as you pass by it, whilst obviously trying to avoid all contact with anyone else who happens to be around at the same time.

So OK, none of these shots are going to win awards or end up hanging on my wall or anything, but they are not too bad really given the circumstances. Yet the feeling they gave me was that yes the world is still as beautiful a place as it was before this nightmare began, as well as a reassuring feeling that everything is going to turn out alright in the end and tranquillity will descend upon us all once again. Which made it not only a good exercise for my body, but also and probably more importantly, a really good exercise for my mind.

So please keep safe and well everyone and one day soon, we will all be back out again doing what we love to do  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 30, 2020, 04:35:34 pm
Looks like those rocks are infected with some sort of virus? ;)

P.S. Sorry, Dave, if the above comment came across as flippant... was meant as a humor. Yes, it can be quite liberating to walk around with just one camera and one lens. Sort of back to basics, where photography was supposed to accurately record the world around us. Sort of vignettes of our daily lives.
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 30, 2020, 06:53:58 pm
Looks like those rocks are infected with some sort of virus? ;)

P.S. Sorry, Dave, if the above comment came across as flippant... was meant as a humor. Yes, it can be quite liberating to walk around with just one camera and one lens. Sort of back to basics, where photography was supposed to accurately record the world around us. Sort of vignettes of our daily lives.

Slobodan, it's me remember, so no need to apologise - ever!

I'm just so glad to see you are back with us all and that you survived your encounter with this lung collapsing plague thing that is threatening us all.

Yes the lichen (or whatever it is called) is certainly garishly coloured on the rocks near to the shoreline at this time of year, I think it probably has something to do with the sea salt and if you think this looks super saturated, then it looks almost subdued compared to some of the fluorescent lime green seaweed that we often see during a really low tide  ;)

So stop apologising  ::)

Dave
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: RSL on March 30, 2020, 07:41:17 pm
Good eye, Dave. On all three.
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 30, 2020, 10:33:27 pm
Good eye, Dave. On all three.
+1.

I wish I had stuff like that to shoot within an hour of my urban house.
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 31, 2020, 04:57:09 am
Well done. I live near a beach, but it has been closed by authorities. And for the next few months I will not be able to go to my favourite locations in SW Portugal. I have thought of going to Lisbon and snap along the deserted streets, but there are more important things now, and everybody must set an example.
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: MattBurt on March 31, 2020, 05:22:58 pm
Interesting photos. Good job making use of your limited time and gear!
I enjoy shooting like that sometimes too. When out adventuring I usually just carry the small rig and shoot that way. Liberating is right!
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: guido on March 31, 2020, 08:38:02 pm
Beautiful set Dave! Just lovely work.
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: francois on April 01, 2020, 07:43:21 am
Even with little time and minimal equipment, you managed to get some excellent shots…
Thanks for sharing and stay safe!
Title: Re: Lock Down Photos
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on April 01, 2020, 03:38:30 pm
Thanks everyone, I didn't expect to get anything much, just out enjoying my allotted time out with my camera  :) ;) :D

Dave