Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Neil Williams on March 22, 2020, 07:53:16 pm

Title: Lightning over Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Post by: Neil Williams on March 22, 2020, 07:53:16 pm
I shot this picture back in 2011 and have always shown it in B&W. Anyway one of the members on another forum saw this picture on my website HERE (https://neilsphotography.co.uk) and wondered what it would look like in colour. So here it is in colour and looking at it now 9 years on I actually prefer it now in colour............funny how things change as we get older.
The story behind this shot was I was sat in my condominium watching the Open Golf tournament when I looked out of my living room window and could see the sky getting very dark, all of a sudden there was a loud crack and lightning over the city. I jumped up and grabbed my D7000 and tripod and went out onto the balcony to my wife's horror. She's shouting at me to come inside so as we do I came back inside after getting the camera set up with composition and the remote release. I came back in and continued watching the golf pressing the remote release every 30 seconds or when ever I heard a bang. After the storm passed I downloaded the pictures and to my delight I had the picture below plus one more with a small bolt of lightning..............thats how I got the Lightning Over Kuala Lumpur picture.
Neil
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibyvchw0p013kn8/Lightning_over_KL_15072011_0001.jpg?raw=1)
Title: Re: Lightning over Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 22, 2020, 08:04:01 pm
With 50 years of B&W darkroom work behind me, I would have rendered this in B&W a few years ago, too. I'm also finding that some of my best images look better with color. Live and learn!

This is magnificent!
Title: Re: Lightning over Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 23, 2020, 04:44:33 am
Stunning.
Title: Re: Lightning over Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 23, 2020, 05:46:10 am
Spectacular.
Title: Re: Lightning over Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Post by: Cornfield on March 23, 2020, 06:40:34 am
Great image.  Was this a single exposure?
Title: Re: Lightning over Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Post by: francois on March 23, 2020, 12:09:19 pm
Purely magic!
Title: Re: Lightning over Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Post by: Neil Williams on March 23, 2020, 03:08:45 pm
Great image.  Was this a single exposure?
Yes Sir
Title: Re: Lightning over Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Post by: RSL on March 23, 2020, 03:12:54 pm
It's a fine shot, Neil. I'd be inclined to go with B&W though. The graphics in this picture are the central point. That usually works out best in B&W. But of course I haven't seen your B&W version.