Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattBurt on March 18, 2020, 05:15:47 pm

Title: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on March 18, 2020, 05:15:47 pm
...Colorado style

For me it's not all that different from regular daily life. I already work from home and much of my photography is landscapes.
But it's easier to get a shot without people in it if that is what I'm going for.

Nice light and sunset last night.

Snowmelt puddle
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49671667826_ce54687e29_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iFjhiY)

Last of the creek ice
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49671668036_cb955fa0be_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iFjhnA)

With the resorts closed, backcountry skiing is the way to go if you need to scratch that itch.
After a pretty quiet morning climbing a nearby peak, these were the first people I encountered of the day. They were considerate and didn't get too close.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49664216938_66ded32730_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iEE6qo)

I made a mental note of this cabin location, just in case I need it later.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49665040322_369d1a56d6_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iEJjbE)
 
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 18, 2020, 06:16:57 pm
Ah, it is good to get out.

Beautiful set.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 19, 2020, 05:42:04 am
Beautiful set.

+1. The first one is especially compelling.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: francois on March 19, 2020, 08:55:08 am
It's a beautiful set and the first one is exceptional.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 19, 2020, 11:04:07 am
It's a beautiful set and the first one is exceptional.
I agree.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on March 19, 2020, 03:50:33 pm
Thanks All!
The first is my favorite too. Interestingly enough the second one got Explored in Flickr yesterday and the first just has about the usual amount of traffic.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on March 26, 2020, 01:11:59 pm
I stopped by the river yesterday morning for sunrise. It was a nice one and I was the only one there (good).

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49697514396_7084d1b08c_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iHAKAu)
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: John R on March 26, 2020, 01:25:27 pm
Fine work Matt.

JR
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on March 26, 2020, 04:35:01 pm
Fine work Matt.

JR

Thanks John!
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 26, 2020, 06:08:25 pm
Fine work Matt.

JR
+1.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on March 30, 2020, 01:09:17 am
Back on skis today. Taking it easy with terrain choice and keeping appropriately distant from each other.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49715490317_3cc9e32829_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iKbTda)
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: RSL on March 30, 2020, 08:03:22 am
You're making me homesick, Matt. Good shooting.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on March 31, 2020, 01:15:05 am
+1.

You're making me homesick, Matt. Good shooting.

Thank you both!
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on April 01, 2020, 06:10:10 pm
One from last night. It was nice and peaceful by the creek and I saw a pair of beavers (one slapped a tail at me) while listening to the distant sandhill cranes bedding down in the nearby fields.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49722998362_fd9663b271_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iKRn6d)
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 02, 2020, 04:37:28 am
Taken March 21. Social distancing already highly promoted here in the province and country. Where I live, physical distancing isn't very hard to do. During the hour I spent in this location, two couples passed by within shouting distance. But, elsewhere, a few are apparently not taking things seriously. A couple of days later, the ADVICE becomes an ORDER, and the Premier closes provincial beaches and trails.

Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 02, 2020, 04:44:28 am
March 27. A couple of snapshots from a walk with my wife, granddaughter and dog. This is a privately-owned, but publicly-accessible trail. In such a place, one can breathe, and forget the rest of the world for just a while. No one else around while we were there. Still, I wonder how long access will continue.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 02, 2020, 04:51:10 am
March 30. We're being asked to only walk in our own neighbourhood. During my 90-minute early morning walk, I only encountered 2 others, walking across the street from me. We waved. I got caught up looking at textures, forms, colours and compositions.
 
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 02, 2020, 04:58:54 am
April 1. Crappy, rainy day out. Little dog poops right away and strains to go home. Unsettling times for all of us. After posing for grandpa, our granddaughter got to make rocky road cookies with grandma.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on April 02, 2020, 06:31:10 pm
38 degrees and windy but I recently got this new bike and I'm eager to get it out on the few trails that have opened up so far. Still pretty fun and it felt great to get back in the saddle.
My house is down there.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49728400083_20f638393f_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iLk3Qk)
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: francois on April 03, 2020, 06:50:24 am
Beautiful Pivot… I'm jealous because at the moment, I cannot ride at all and my MTBs are sitting unused.
Still, ride safely!
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on April 03, 2020, 10:33:49 am
Beautiful Pivot… I'm jealous because at the moment, I cannot ride at all and my MTBs are sitting unused.
Still, ride safely!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. :D
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: francois on April 03, 2020, 12:41:24 pm
Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. :D

I would be excited too!
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on April 03, 2020, 01:04:52 pm
Last night the quiet by the creek was broken by these sandhill cranes that pass through along their migration.
A nice moment and good to see them. We hear them a lot but they are often not so easily visible.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49729705671_65ca006ba9_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iLrJWt)

I was hoping they would fly by the nice sunset light but they did not oblige.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49730024062_0ba055becd_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iLtnzY)
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 04, 2020, 10:05:30 am
What a great location you have, so close to home.
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: Rob C on April 04, 2020, 10:15:25 am
April 1. Crappy, rainy day out. Little dog poops right away and strains to go home. Unsettling times for all of us. After posing for grandpa, our granddaughter got to make rocky road cookies with grandma.

Love the portrait at the window/door; straight from my list of desired location types, and shot wth a wonderful mood to it.

Rob
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on April 06, 2020, 02:11:11 pm
I'm always on the lookout for water swirls that can be brought out more with a long exposure.
When the creek is on the rise, the eddies often swirl with foam. Found some last night after sunset.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49742497418_3d0371055b_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iMzitQ)
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: Alan Klein on April 06, 2020, 03:33:20 pm
Nice shots Matt.  You live in a  beautiful place. 
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: MattBurt on April 06, 2020, 04:15:44 pm
Nice shots Matt.  You live in a  beautiful place.

Thanks Alan. I do!
Title: Re: Social distancing
Post by: Craig Lamson on April 06, 2020, 04:44:25 pm
Thanks Alan. I do!

That is great counntry.  As a midwestener I discovered Colorado in my early 20's and have been back more times than I can count since.  Your area, Gunnison-Crested Butte is superb.  Our first visit was a week in the Nat Forest on a forest service road 7738 north of the Butte. Found a nice campsite and enjoyed.    On a later trip we spent a week at Lost Lake to the West of the Butte, which is a great High Mountain campground.  Another trip we camped at Lake Irwin.  Ive never skied at Crested Butte, most of those trips were to Summit County.  I simply love Colorado and we still go at least once a year to vist my brohter in Denver and sister in Colorado Springs.  Once my Mom and Deb dad are gone along with our reason to stay here, I think we might live out our days in CO.

I envy you, your home is a special place to me.

Added on Edit:

I found a photo of my old 1987 VW Dasher crossing a stream on the forest service road in CB.