Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: KMRennie on March 15, 2020, 12:02:37 pm
-
Here in Cumbria we haven't had a cold winter, lots of wind and far too much rain but this week we had a little snow on the fell tops and a one day break between storms. This is the Deepdale Beck with the dark bulk of Greenhow End at the back. This area reminds me of NW Scotland although the hills are much lower the rain is just as wet. Ken
-
That is just fabulous Ken! Bravo!
-
That is just fabulous Ken! Bravo!
+1.
-
Hi Ken,
Yes you have really nailed it with this one - yet being the cantankerous old pedant that I always seem to be these days, do you think a small crop of the foreground helps in anyway to balance the weight and depth of the sky with the weight and depth of the foreground water, such as this slightly cropped version?
But I really do like this shot a lot and the light is both moody and amazing, so please feel free to totally ignore my constantly inane ramblings and crop suggestions :)
Dave
-
You could be right Dave, but I think that somewhere between the two versions might be better. Congratulations on your book and I may have a look as I am returning to Beauly in October and will take the opportunity to spend a few days in Assynt afterwards. My last Assynt trip led to 1 good seascape but poor light and strong winds spoiled my chances of tranquil landscapes. Ken
-
You could be right Dave, but I think that somewhere between the two versions might be better. Congratulations on your book and I may have a look as I am returning to Beauly in October and will take the opportunity to spend a few days in Assynt afterwards. My last Assynt trip led to 1 good seascape but poor light and strong winds spoiled my chances of tranquil landscapes. Ken
Ah that's a relief Ken :)
I always feel guilty when I offer up a cropping suggestion like the one above, as it seems as if I am sort of trying to second guess the work of others and even though I really do mean well, sometimes, well let's just say I end up wishing I hadn't made the suggestion, so for you to even half agree with me is a relief - but yes, balance in an image can be so fundamental and at other times it doesn't seem to matter at all. Yet I do seem to have become more than a little obsessed with it these days, to the point where I sort of do it subconsciously and continuously.
Yes Ken I am sure you would enjoy reading some of my ramblings and as I think I have mentioned earlier in another thread, I have found quite a few out of the way locations that are not so well known, that I am sure you will enjoy visiting with your camera if you do decide to buy a copy :)
Dave
-
Beautiful image!
-
I went back to the same location today as the forecast looked more promising with sunshine and shade. Unfortunately most of the snow had disappeared and the water level had dropped but it was much nicer walking up the valley. Lots more images still to process. Ken
-
Perfect balance, perfect light and perfectly captured - bravo!
Dave
-
Thank you Dave it shows the advantage of returning to the same location after processing the first images. I also took a large tripod that allowed me to move further into the stream and move the hills to the right. A spot of sunshine helped. Ken
-
Another winner Ken! Such a different image...
-
Nice ones.
-
I like both but the first one is still my favorite… probably because of the snow on the peaks.
Bravo.