Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Hans Kruse on March 03, 2020, 03:12:17 pm

Title: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: Hans Kruse on March 03, 2020, 03:12:17 pm
A shot from the old castle at Rocca Calascio in Gran Sasso, Abruzzo, Italy. One of my favourite places in Italy as I have mentioned before. I love the historic vibes of this place and the nearby villages.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49614544942_f3ac240984_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2iAgvEE)A new day at the old Castle (https://flic.kr/p/2iAgvEE) by Hans Kruse (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hkruse/), on Flickr
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: RSL on March 03, 2020, 03:43:34 pm
You're really on a roll, Hans. Keep doing it.
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 03, 2020, 05:22:07 pm
You're really on a roll, Hans. Keep doing it.
+1.
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: Hans Kruse on March 04, 2020, 01:57:23 am
Thanks :)
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: drmike on March 04, 2020, 03:00:29 am
Hans you must walk and walk to get the shots you do. I assume you know the area and plan well.
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: Hans Kruse on March 04, 2020, 03:23:48 am
Hans you must walk and walk to get the shots you do. I assume you know the area and plan well.

I know all areas where I do workshops very well. Abruzzo is where I started my workshops in October 2008 and I researched it first time in the autumn of 2007. Ever since I have done workshops there and as you say I have walked and walked around in this quite large area. Drving around and noticed some smaller area where I would walk to. Walking is very important in my opinion as the slower pace makes the scenes grow on you (me at least) in a quite different way than just driving around and shoot where something nice turns up.
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: drmike on March 04, 2020, 03:35:28 am
I totally agree that walking is the way to really explore a place. I have lived in the same village for 30+ years and it's only since I retired and feel I have time to walk that I'm seeing it with new eyes.

Personally it tends to be walking cities that I find most rewarding. Landscapes are too hard  :)

Having visited Abruzzo more than once I loved it. We looked into buying a place there but probably wisely didn't.
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: francois on March 04, 2020, 04:10:29 am
A "real" castle in a fantastic place. It looks just out a movie.
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: Hans Kruse on March 04, 2020, 04:38:45 am
A "real" castle in a fantastic place. It looks just out a movie.

Several movies were shot partly at the castle, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocca_Calascio
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 04, 2020, 04:44:10 am
Excellent.
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: francois on March 04, 2020, 04:52:01 am
Several movies were shot partly at the castle, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocca_Calascio

The Name of the Rose was my first thought but I didn't remember that some scenes were produced there. With such a spectacular place, I'm not surprised that movie makers do work there.
Thanks for pointing me to the wikipedia article!
Title: Re: A new day at the old Castle
Post by: Hans Kruse on March 04, 2020, 04:57:11 am
Maybe I should mention since were are writing on the LuLa forum, that Michael Reichmann was actually the guy who inspired me to do workshops. I still think of him in gratitude.