Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: ShawnBK on February 29, 2020, 04:25:52 pm

Title: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: ShawnBK on February 29, 2020, 04:25:52 pm
I need to do some copying & digitilizing work. Any reviews or sample results, don't have much luck at all on Net. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: BobShaw on March 01, 2020, 01:30:09 am
I am sure that it is excellent but the HC120 is readily available, cheap and has extension tubes. I am keeping mine for the X1D. Most of my work is studio though.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: ShawnBK on March 01, 2020, 12:48:54 pm
Thank you, appreciate u taking time to reply. I found had forgotten abt being able to use extension tubes. Thanx again.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: Jann Lipka on March 09, 2020, 01:07:09 am
decent lens until you try to use aperture above F 13 ....

For flat objects that shouldnt be a problem - for more DOF use Focus stacking.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: BobShaw on March 09, 2020, 04:49:03 am
decent lens until you try to use aperture above F 13 ....
Do you process in Phocus?
I seldom use a macro lens at anything less than f18
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: Conner999 on March 09, 2020, 08:18:47 am
(Disclaimer: lens for sale)

We use the HC 120M II (improved IQ over 1st ver) on our H5D and GFX . Great lens, goes 1:1, no CA, sharp as hell.  We'd keep it, but it's over-kill for us.

Very easy to focus manually and works with tubes. The orange dot copies will AF on the X1D, but they're far more costly and with focus peaking, etc, AF is really not necessary.

The only things that would make me hesitate on the XCD 120 are a) there have been many reports of issues with focus failures, DOA lenses after little use etc.,  b) it doesn't go 1:1 and c) cost for what seems to be the sole problematic lens in the lineup for some reason.

The Mamiya Macros are also an excellent option, but with no leaf shutter, you'd be stuck with the slow E shutter of the X1D which could be problematic.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: ShawnBK on April 23, 2020, 02:01:53 pm
Thanx all, appreciate your input. I did get XCD 120mm & have been busy copying old slides & prints, focus peaking my prefered method & it works perfectly, love the results & compactness. I'm sure once I'm out of solitary I'll be able to shoot handheld. Glad I bought it.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: Outside_Late on July 03, 2020, 02:11:51 pm
How are you liking the XCD 120 now that you've had it a few months.  I'm just getting an X1D II and considering whether to pick up a used HC 120 or get the XCD 120.

Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: BobShaw on July 04, 2020, 08:10:47 pm
This is the HC120 with the 1.7X converter. A standard set of earrings almost fills the frame from a distance about 25cm. No extension tubes.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: SrMi on July 05, 2020, 09:48:39 am
This is the HC120 with the 1.7X converter. A standard set of earrings almost fills the frame from a distance about 25cm. No extension tubes.
Does focus bracketing work with HC lenses?
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: BobShaw on July 05, 2020, 07:55:20 pm
Does focus bracketing work with HC lenses?
Only if you do it yourself. (:-)
No. The automatic one on the camera does not work.

They were just single shots at f25  1/400  ISO100.
I normally use f18 so not sure why that was f25.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: ShawnBK on July 07, 2020, 11:18:47 am
How are you liking the XCD 120 now that you've had it a few months.  I'm just getting an X1D II and considering whether to pick up a used HC 120 or get the XCD 120.
Hi, I've used XCD 120 only for copying old slides & some small prints. Lately have been busy with other things but I do plan on using it for flowers & usual supspects. So far it is excellent, like I said before use only with back button focus which is convenient & works like a charm. Still very happy I bought & using XCD 120 for X1D. Others I use are trusty XCD45 & XCD90. BTW. Results are excellent.
Title: Re: Hasselblad XCD 120mm Macro lens
Post by: ShawnBK on July 20, 2020, 03:46:53 pm
X1D w/XCD 120mm shot over the past weekend. Very happy with results.