Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: Andy M on December 01, 2006, 04:58:19 am
-
Last night while shooting pictures of my fiancee, I noticed a reoccurring hot pixel. It's tiny, but annoying all the same.
You can see it here on the hair which falls in-between my fiancee's bosom:
Then, I fell upon this post: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...31&changemode=1 (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1031&message=18151631&changemode=1)
The important parts being:
...with the lens on the camera and the lens cap on the lens, and the lens pointing to the floor, I activated the 'Sensor Clean' function for about 30 seconds. (Obviously with a lens on, I made no effort to clean the sensor before, after or during this operation!). At the end of the 30 seconds, I switched the camera off to close the shutter and return the mirror...
and
I am now of the opinion that operating the sensor clean function with a lens on and a lens cap on the lens, causes the camera to either map out hot/stuck pixels, or to reset itself, neutralizing them. Pure speculation of course, but it solved the problem completely in 30 seconds. (N.B. I did not clean the sensor at any point and have never done so.)
It worked on my 5D, it may work for you too
-
A friend of mine owns a Nikon Coolpix 885 that has a number of hot pixels all over the sensor, including a cluster of 4 or so that have decided to lock themselves on green. That camera is about 4/5 years old...
However, I doubt that it, being a consumer P&S, will have a sensor clean function. I'll have to have a look.
Still, at least for you it isn't two or three clusters of pixels that are all different colours. Hopefully that won't happen...
-
Hi, I have a canon 1ds MKll with a couple hot pixels. I'll try your idea tomorrow, however
I have been using Raw Developer to process Canon RAW's, with great results, better
than CaptureOne, Raw Developer has an Hot Pixel adjuster that works perfect, you
can also download at: http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html (http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html)