Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Colorado_CJ on January 29, 2020, 09:03:05 pm

Title: Orion - Going Deep
Post by: Colorado_CJ on January 29, 2020, 09:03:05 pm
I recently upgraded one of my imaging scopes to a RASA 11, an 11" Rowe Ackerman Schmidt Astrograph. This is an 11" f2.2 scope, which is 10 times faster than the scope it replaces.

Last night I shot between clouds and got 83 minutes on the Great Orion Nebula. I am extremely happy with how deep I got in such short a time. My other scope would have taken 14 hours to get the same image!

I can't wait for some clear skies to see what this setup can really do.

I used 20 second exposures for this image, which was much too long since the integrated image was extremely bright, which made it hard to tame down in post.  I think 10 second exposures would have been fine.

This was 250, 20 second exposures

RASA 11
ZWO ASI183MC Pro
EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI290MM Mini Guide Camera

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49462075977_58ec5e0b4f_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2imN4Xp)Orion-RASA-11-83-Minutes-small (https://flic.kr/p/2imN4Xp) by Colo CJ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184532879@N08/), on Flickr




And here is the scope inside my dome in the backyard.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49432231017_a63c91d49c_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2ija768)New RASA 11 (https://flic.kr/p/2ija768) by Colo CJ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184532879@N08/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Orion - Going Deep
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 29, 2020, 11:33:12 pm
Truly spectacular.
Title: Re: Orion - Going Deep
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 30, 2020, 02:21:15 am
What does it mean “10x faster”?
Title: Re: Orion - Going Deep
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 30, 2020, 03:29:21 am
Fantastic.
Title: Re: Orion - Going Deep
Post by: Peter McLennan on January 30, 2020, 02:27:24 pm

This was 250, 20 second exposures

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49462075977_58ec5e0b4f_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2imN4Xp)Orion-RASA-11-83-Minutes-small (https://flic.kr/p/2imN4Xp) by Colo CJ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184532879@N08/), on Flickr

Incredible.  Not only the image, but the workflow necessary.

Thank you so much for sharing these images.  I had no idea what was possible.




And here is the scope inside my dome in the backyard.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49432231017_a63c91d49c_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2ija768)New RASA 11 (https://flic.kr/p/2ija768) by Colo CJ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184532879@N08/), on Flickr