Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on January 23, 2020, 09:25:01 am

Title: A Place of Elves
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 23, 2020, 09:25:01 am
Foggy ancient woodland, Quantock Hills, Somerset.
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Bob_B on January 23, 2020, 09:35:03 am
Wonderful!
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: RSL on January 23, 2020, 09:38:26 am
Good stuff, Bill.
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Rob C on January 23, 2020, 10:10:05 am
Great shot and mood; quite a bit more evil than mere elves, I reckon.

It captures part of the feeling of dread that I get from forests. The first time I became terribly aware of it was driving from Brive towards Clermont-Ferrand, and badly needing a pee. I stopped the car in a little layby, jumped out and walked rapidly off the parking and into the trees. It was amazing just how quickly silence fell over me: traffic seemed to have stopped and I actually turned round to keep the car in sight as I did what I had to do. I was convinced that if I lost sight of it I'd turn into one of those unexplained vanishings.

It explains why travelling Frenchmen simply stop, pull out their credentials and do it right there by the side of the road. They know.

Rob
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 23, 2020, 04:12:17 pm
It explains why travelling Frenchmen simply stop, pull out their credentials and do it right there by the side of the road. They know.

And they're French.

Jeremy
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: petermfiore on January 23, 2020, 04:26:38 pm
Great shot and mood; quite a bit more evil than mere elves, I reckon.

It captures part of the feeling of dread that I get from forests. The first time I became terribly aware of it was driving from Brive towards Clermont-Ferrand, and badly needing a pee. I stopped the car in a little layby, jumped out and walked rapidly off the parking and into the trees. It was amazing just how quickly silence fell over me: traffic seemed to have stopped and I actually turned round to keep the car in sight as I did what I had to do. I was convinced that if I lost sight of it I'd turn into one of those unexplained vanishings.

It explains why travelling Frenchmen simply stop, pull out their credentials and do it right there by the side of the road. They know.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Something must have happened to you either in this live or a previous incarnation...For the woods to give you such a sense of dread.

Peter
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Rob C on January 23, 2020, 04:51:24 pm
Hi Rob,
Something must have happened to you either in this live or a previous incarnation...For the woods to give you such a sense of dread.

Peter


I have no doubt about it. Whatever it was, I hope it remains past tense.

:-(
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: petermfiore on January 23, 2020, 04:52:34 pm

I have no doubt about it. Whatever it was, I hope it remains past tense.

:-(

We will all sleep better not knowing....: )

Peter
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Rob C on January 23, 2020, 04:55:10 pm
And they're French.

Jeremy


It's in their genes; part of the personality and a reaction to living close to the land. Obviously enough, that's why the Cajuns live in the swamps with all those trees with hanging trails... But note: they always have a pirogue handy for that quick getaway.

Rob
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on January 23, 2020, 05:00:08 pm
 Wow, great shot Bill. Well seen!!
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: petermfiore on January 23, 2020, 05:18:32 pm
Foggy ancient woodland, Quantock Hills, Somerset.

Hi Bill,
Truly a beautiful picture...

Peter
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 24, 2020, 04:02:17 am
Thanks all.

If the Brextremists get their way and we go to war with the EU, we could maybe drop copies of this photo on France, to ensure their quick surrender :-)
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 24, 2020, 05:45:09 am
Magnificent. There are (were) more images to be made in that scene which I hope you did.
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 24, 2020, 06:04:26 am
Rajan - I took a good number of photos. The trouble is, everywhere you look, there's a composition. You take that one, turn around and there's one you might otherwise have missed. Look left or right, there's another couple. Fortunately, the wood isn't going anywhere. It just needs another foggy day.
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: KLaban on January 24, 2020, 07:12:25 am
Rajan - I took a good number of photos. The trouble is, everywhere you look, there's a composition. You take that one, turn around and there's one you might otherwise have missed. Look left or right, there's another couple. Fortunately, the wood isn't going anywhere. It just needs another foggy day.

I always found with woodland shots the challenge is avoiding crossing trees, particually towards the foregroud.

Great shot, Bill.
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 24, 2020, 07:29:18 am
True. Finding a composition that isn't messy and overly complicated is difficult. Fortunately, there's fog, which helps!
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: kers on January 24, 2020, 08:10:26 am
great mood!
, somehow i like the photo better small without sharp details
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: PeterAit on January 24, 2020, 10:13:02 am
Great shot and mood; quite a bit more evil than mere elves, I reckon.

It captures part of the feeling of dread that I get from forests. The first time I became terribly aware of it was driving from Brive towards Clermont-Ferrand, and badly needing a pee. I stopped the car in a little layby, jumped out and walked rapidly off the parking and into the trees. It was amazing just how quickly silence fell over me: traffic seemed to have stopped and I actually turned round to keep the car in sight as I did what I had to do. I was convinced that if I lost sight of it I'd turn into one of those unexplained vanishings.

Rob

The Ents will get you !
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Ivo_B on January 24, 2020, 11:50:17 am
Nothing compares to the beauty of a natural forest.

Our region is full of man made forest. Sea pines nicely in battle order. Planted to be used as coal mine propping. With the introduction of pneumatic walking braces they became redundant.

Nowadays, the forests are one by one replaced by the original heathland. Much better but not for everybody, some think the man planted forests are mid wile cultural heritage, not much peoples are old enough to remember how it was before.
Title: Re: A Place of Elves
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 24, 2020, 01:41:54 pm
Bill,

That is a stunning and creepy shot. I love it!