Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on January 02, 2020, 02:27:53 pm

Title: Happy New Year
Post by: MattBurt on January 02, 2020, 02:27:53 pm
I went out solo on skis the other night and shot the Mount Crested Butte New Year's Fireworks and torchlight parade from a neighboring mountain. It was a cold night, 0 F when I started but it actually warmed up to 6 by the time I got back to the car.
This shot is kind of a happy accident. I messed up with my settings for getting frames for a timelapse while rushing in the dark and cold and ended up in interval composite mode instead of just interval mode. That stacked all my shots into a single frame and it actually turned out kind of cool. I don't think I have ever used that mode before and would normally do the stacking in post if I was going to do that.
So here's to 2020 and happy accidents (the best kind)! :)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49310383313_21c4224a41_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2i8oB1D)
Title: Re: Happy New Year
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 02, 2020, 05:18:55 pm
Ah, how dull life would be without occasional happy accidents!

Happy New Year, Matt!
Title: Re: Happy New Year
Post by: langier on January 03, 2020, 09:33:36 am
Well done, Matt, and here's to new year of happy accidents!
Title: Re: Happy New Year
Post by: kers on January 03, 2020, 09:50:00 am
a very nice accident! indeed. keep it going...
Title: Re: Happy New Year
Post by: MattBurt on January 03, 2020, 01:16:13 pm
Thanks guys!
As always I'm going to try to avoid accidents in general, but when they inevitably do happen, hopefully they will be more happy ones!
I've had some unhappy ones in the past and I'd like to give those up! :D
Title: Re: Happy New Year
Post by: RSL on January 03, 2020, 03:07:33 pm
Definitely kind of cool, Matt. Actually, a bit more than that.
Title: Re: Happy New Year
Post by: rabanito on January 05, 2020, 12:27:06 pm
Definitely kind of cool, Matt. Actually, a bit more than that.
The torchlights seem to be cooler than the lights in the village.
How come? Or it's just my eyes?
Title: Re: Happy New Year
Post by: MattBurt on January 06, 2020, 12:15:17 pm
The torchlights seem to be cooler than the lights in the village.
How come? Or it's just my eyes?

They used to use signal flares for this but I imagine they might have some kind of LED replacement by now. Maybe that affects the color relative to what they are using at the houses?
Otherwise, I don't know. I didn't do very much in the edit.
Title: Re: Happy New Year
Post by: rabanito on January 06, 2020, 12:37:07 pm
They used to use signal flares for this but I imagine they might have some kind of LED replacement by now. Maybe that affects the color relative to what they are using at the houses?
Otherwise, I don't know. I didn't do very much in the edit.

Thank you Matt