Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Benny Profane on January 01, 2020, 03:03:42 pm

Title: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: Benny Profane on January 01, 2020, 03:03:42 pm
My three year old and now pretty well used Epson P800 is having difficulties loading sheets. Slowly getting worse. Is there a common maintenance procedure I'm missing here? Are things just getting dirty?

Otherwise, it's an awesome printer.
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: I.T. Supplies on January 02, 2020, 09:34:00 am
Can you explain the actual issue?  It can depend on the paper in which feeder since fine art is recommended for front or back feeding and what not.
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: pslocum on January 02, 2020, 11:31:50 am
Maybe printer just needs a good cleaning.
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: JohnHeerema on January 04, 2020, 09:15:16 pm
I found that sheet loading on my 3800 gradually became flakier over time. The sheet loading mechanism on my P800 seems to be very similar, so it may just be getting old...
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: Benny Profane on January 05, 2020, 12:40:15 pm
Maybe printer just needs a good cleaning.

Probably, but, how do I do that? Is there a procedure I'm not aware of?

It's the sheet feeder mechanism, usually with 8.5x11 sheets, just doesn't want to initially grab the sheet. Off and on problem, working today. And, no super whoop, just requires me to stand there and kind of nudge the sheet down fairly hard when it starts the printing process.
A few times it's screwed up with 17x22 sheets, sucks them in too far, requiring me to pull it out and start over.

But, It's working, overall.
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: rdonson on January 07, 2020, 09:07:23 am
https://youtu.be/kzcHWYUHmUM
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: Benny Profane on January 07, 2020, 12:06:32 pm
Oh. Thanks.
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on January 08, 2020, 01:34:03 pm
In a quick search, I couldn't find a sheet recommended for the p800.
Apparently, some cleaning sheets cause a problem with the p800 and smaller
printers.

Regards,
Dale
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: Benny Profane on January 09, 2020, 01:30:22 pm
Yeah, seems like Epson isn't making the cleaning sheet featured in that youtube posted. I did find something pretty similar at Staples, but, I'm not putting that thing into my printer unless it's OK to do so.
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: pflower on January 09, 2020, 03:21:35 pm
I have had this problem with both a 3800 and now with my 3880.  When the 3800 was new it wouldn't feed at all from the sheet feeder after a few months.   Epson sent a technician out.  He explained that running matte papers such as Photo Rag through the sheet feeder would leave residue on the rubber roller.  He simply got a cloth, put isopropyl  alcohol on it and then ran the paper feed while holding it against the rubber roller that grips the paper.  That cleaned off the residue and it worked fine.

You don't need the cleaning sheets.  A soft cloth and isopropyl alcohol will do the trick.  Well at least that is what an Epson technician told me and I have followed his advice ever since.

Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: rdonson on January 10, 2020, 08:57:14 am
FWIW I bought some Epson sheets long ago from B&H. They seem to no longer carry them though.

I found some available on Amazon and they are being shipped from Japan.
Title: Re: P800 paper loading issues
Post by: artfellig on January 12, 2020, 10:17:28 pm
FWIW I bought some Epson sheets long ago from B&H. They seem to no longer carry them though.

I found some available on Amazon and they are being shipped from Japan.

Yeah, I just got a pack of cleaning sheets sent from Japan, ordered from ebay.