Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Gittix on December 31, 2019, 03:36:08 pm

Title: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: Gittix on December 31, 2019, 03:36:08 pm
I am dealing with heavy black ink banding on my prints. Banding is horizontal and ink is so heavy it's "sitting" on the paper and smears to the touch. Also has heavy black ink on the platen on the far left (facing the printer). Cleaned it and ran cleaning cycle with same result. Any help would be appreciated.
Title: Re: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: mearussi on December 31, 2019, 04:54:43 pm
The most likely cause is the wrong paper setting or icc profile. The first one would cause too much ink to be put down, and the second, if incorrect, could cause matte black ink to be applied to glossy paper (you didn't say what paper you were using).
Title: Re: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: Gittix on December 31, 2019, 06:22:14 pm
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a luster paper and have all the settings that I've always used unfortunately. I can't come up with anything different from what I usually do using this paper. I've been running this machine for about three years and have used luster, matte/fine art papers and canvas without the first problem until now.
Title: Re: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: Richard.Wills on December 31, 2019, 08:08:20 pm
Smearing says it's matt black on gloss (lustre). Try a generic Canon lustre/gloss paper setting, both in the print driver and on the printer, to discount this. I get this a couple of times a year when the operator/rip/moonphase slides away from the ideal.

If you don't often check, ink build up on the right hand side is normal - cleaning it is normal maintenance. Don't run more than one cleaning cycle - it pretty much never brings anything worthwhile to the party.
Title: Re: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: Gittix on January 01, 2020, 11:23:47 am
Proper settings are confirmed. Nozzle check shows a falling off on magenta on the left and all 6 colors falling off/inconsistent on the right.
Title: Re: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: mearussi on January 01, 2020, 12:29:41 pm
Have you run a nozzle 1 check in maintenance mode to see what condition your head is in?
Title: Re: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: Gittix on January 01, 2020, 03:51:27 pm
for some reason when i go into service mode I can't find a "nozzle 1" check. I only find the same check that I ran in regular mode and I get the same result.
Title: Re: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: mearussi on January 01, 2020, 06:16:12 pm
for some reason when i go into service mode I can't find a "nozzle 1" check. I only find the same check that I ran in regular mode and I get the same result.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3812165
Title: Re: Canon IPF6400 problems
Post by: Gittix on January 02, 2020, 10:32:46 pm
OK thanks. I ran the nozzle 1 check and the only thing out of the ordinary is the black on the right side looks like it double printed or layed down too much ink or something of that nature.