Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on December 29, 2019, 07:17:32 am

Title: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 29, 2019, 07:17:32 am
Bull, Looking for China Shop. (https://blog.parrikar.com/2019/12/29/bull-looking-for-china-shop/)

Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: RSL on December 29, 2019, 07:56:32 am
 ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: KLaban on December 29, 2019, 08:25:54 am
Bull, Looking for China Shop...

...or me.

:-(
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: francois on December 30, 2019, 05:49:34 am
A bit less mysterious with the article on your blog.
A good shot, really.
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Rob C on December 30, 2019, 06:30:18 am
Bull, Looking for China Shop...

...or me.

:-(

Keith, some object to being photographed.

;-)
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: KLaban on December 30, 2019, 07:26:47 am
Keith, some object to being photographed.

;-)

Tell me about it.

;-)
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: petermfiore on December 30, 2019, 10:56:32 am
Tell me about it.

;-)

Keith,
And some subjects just refuse to  communicate...

Peter
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: KLaban on December 30, 2019, 12:20:34 pm
Keith,
And some subjects just refuse to  communicate...

Peter

Peter, I didn't want to bore those who were already familiar with the incident of the photographer and the birthing cow.

;-)
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: petermfiore on December 30, 2019, 01:17:16 pm
Peter, I didn't want to bore those who were already familiar with the incident of the photographer and the birthing cow.

;-)

Keith,

I hope you know, I don't mean you...

Peter
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Rob C on December 30, 2019, 01:34:52 pm
Peter, I didn't want to bore those who were already familiar with the incident of the photographer and the birthing cow.

;-)

I didn't know the nature of the attack, but in the circumstances, it is hardly surprising! Apart from, well, grudgingly by her mate, it's not something a lady would probably want photographed.

Nat Geog is responsible for a lot of bad habits!

:-)
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: KLaban on December 30, 2019, 01:49:38 pm
I didn't know the nature of the attack, but in the circumstances, it is hardly surprising! Apart from, well, grudgingly by her mate, it's not something a lady would probably want photographed.

Nat Geog is responsible for a lot of bad habits!

:-)

Having started I'd better come clean, for all to judge.

There was I, backing up, trying to frame a shot of a veg seller and his clientele, blissfully unaware of a cow, blissfully unaware of a cow having just given birth, blissfully unaware of a cow protecting her newly born calf in full flight and charging me...

...no, no, no, it's just too painful to recount. And believe me it was.

;-)
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: KLaban on December 30, 2019, 03:44:06 pm
Keith,

I hope you know, I don't mean you...

Peter

Peter, not a problem, I was just joking.

Keith
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: petermfiore on December 30, 2019, 03:56:40 pm
Peter, not a problem, I was just joking.

Keith


Grazie gentile signore...

Pietro
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Ivo_B on December 31, 2019, 03:18:46 am
Having started I'd better come clean, for all to judge.

There was I, backing up, trying to frame a shot of a veg seller and his clientele, blissfully unaware of a cow, blissfully unaware of a cow having just given birth, blissfully unaware of a cow protecting her newly born calf in full flight and charging me...

...no, no, no, it's just too painful to recount. And believe me it was.

;-)

For some reason a have film scenes whit David Niven with a trope helmet and other brown painted British actors in mind after reading this nice story.
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: KLaban on December 31, 2019, 04:37:36 am
For some reason a have film scenes whit David Niven with a trope helmet and other brown painted British actors in mind after reading this nice story.

 ;D
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Rob C on December 31, 2019, 04:39:39 am
Having started I'd better come clean, for all to judge.

There was I, backing up, trying to frame a shot of a veg seller and his clientele, blissfully unaware of a cow, blissfully unaware of a cow having just given birth, blissfully unaware of a cow protecting her newly born calf in full flight and charging me...

...no, no, no, it's just too painful to recount. And believe me it was.

;-)

You see? Some cows work in exactly the same manner as do some pickpockets!

There are lessons learned though: I was standing at the supermarket check-out a couple of days ago, starting to lift my few items out of the trolley and onto the track, when I felt somebody too close behind me. I spun myself around, banged my left wrist against one of those silly stands that sell sweet crap to kids as their parents stand in line, and in so doing I managed to scare the hell out of a poor woman in cyclist gear who was apparently reaching down for one of the plastic baskets on wheels that are used when a trolley is overkill.

On the other hand, maybe the cyclist gear was to facilitate a quick escape if she'd been lucky. I thought of explaining my reason for being on the watch, as it were, but thought no point, so I just rubbed my wrist instead. Fortunately, it was the wrist took the blow, and not the glass of the rhinestone replacement that was on it.

Ripples...

;-(
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Rob C on December 31, 2019, 04:45:58 am
For some reason a have film scenes whit David Niven with a trope helmet and other brown painted British actors in mind after reading this nice story.

I used to wear a topi, and for wet days, there were plastic covers that are just like shower caps that women wear. I had no illusions of resembling David Niven. Have you read his first book, The Moon's a Balloon? Pleasant reading, as was Bring on the Empty Horses. He wrote a nice forward to the very first Pirelli Calendar Book. I think he made some movies, too.

;-)
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Ivo_B on December 31, 2019, 05:13:03 am
I used to wear a topi, and for wet days, there were plastic covers that are just like shower caps that women wear. I had no illusions of resembling David Niven. Have you read his first book, The Moon's a Balloon? Pleasant reading, as was Bring on the Empty Horses. He wrote a nice forward to the very first Pirelli Calendar Book. I think he made some movies, too.

;-)

About Pirelli, I browsed the decades in search for your edition, you did shoot a Pirelli, didn’t you?
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Ivo_B on December 31, 2019, 05:25:12 am
;D

When I was a kid, Saturday afternoon was film on TV. Old films, in Flemish we call them ‘old cigars’, I still have that warm and fuzzy feeling thinking back on those rainy afternoons with Johnny Weismuller, Humphrey Bogart, David Niven, etc.
Not to forget Oliver Hardy who said the legendary words to Stan Laurel: “Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into."

 ;D
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: KLaban on December 31, 2019, 07:18:04 am
I should add that cows in India have no resemblance to dear old Ermintrude, they are the size of Volkswagen campervans and come complete with horns befitting the devil.

;-) 
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Ivo_B on December 31, 2019, 09:23:34 am
I should add that cows in India have no resemblance to dear old Ermintrude, they are the size of Volkswagen campervans and come complete with horns befitting the devil.

;-)

And, I heard, also untouchable because a bit holy?
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: KLaban on December 31, 2019, 09:40:18 am
And, I heard, also untouchable because a bit holy?

Indeed they are, more than a bit.

The same year saw our second incident with large Indian mammals. We were being driven from Bundi to Jaipur when our car hit a nilgai, or blue bull, at speed which took the side off the car. Thankfully nobody was hurt excepting of course the unfortunate creature. I asked the driver about the status of the nilgai, thinking it might also be holy, but he assured me that all was well as it's considered to be merely a wild bull.

 :-\
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: petermfiore on December 31, 2019, 12:28:09 pm
I should add that cows in India have no resemblance to dear old Ermintrude, they are the size of Volkswagen campervans and come complete with horns befitting the devil.

;-)

I am now getting a much clearer picture.

Peter
Title: Re: Bull, Looking for China Shop
Post by: Rob C on December 31, 2019, 01:47:37 pm
About Pirelli, I browsed the decades in search for your edition, you did shoot a Pirelli, didn’t you?


Are you kidding?

You could search the centuries and not find my name on one - unfortunately.

The closest I got was meeting Derek Forsyth and chatting. I told him the Moon one was my favourite, and he told me that in fact it hadn't gone down terribly well. Go figure. If my memory isn't mistaken, his offices were quite near the Abbey Road crossing...

Actually, as I was searching through the site, I noticed that the Moon edition was almost invisible. In fact it only surfaces once, very briefly. I guess he was right.

;-(