Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Jann Lipka on December 26, 2019, 12:54:40 am
-
Current P65 seldom user I'm trying to figure out if GFX100 is a
right camera for me - I would like to try it also for portraits (I find human face so rich in expressions that I seldom shoot just a couple of pictures - and feel often
that shooting a person with less the 100 exposures a misconduct :-)
my question for camera owners here is about ability to shoot smaller RAW files.
I can see in specs that smaller sizes are possible but in ......Hmmmmm
JPEG ?
a bit pity - inability to shoot smaller RAWs.
Tell me if I'm wrong.
P65+ has a nice pixel binning mode actually.
Why is this technology not adapted i days of 100 MPX sensors ....
I own canon 5DS and in some situations m-RAW ( 2o MPx ) is just perfect.
-
I own a 5DS but have never shot at anything other than 50MP. That is why I bought the camera, as I wanted enough pixels on the long edge for landscapes. Then when affordable 50MP medium format came out in the form of the X1D I bought that, as the image quality is so much better. I don't need or want 100MP so I will probably never buy one unless forced to because say my current camera dies and I can't buy a 50MP anymore. 85 Megabit files are cumbersome enough to deal with and I usually crop half away anyway and still have a big file.
To me buying 100MP and trying to make it smaller is like buying a V8 and taking out 4 plugs to make it more economical. You would be much better off buying a 4 cylinder in the first place.
-
maybe. For landscape usage it sounds reasonable - so maybe FUJI GFX is justa landscape camera ?
But there is some other qualities then pixelcount that could be important for image result
in other fields then landscape.
For example sensor size is larger then 24x36 combined with ability to use with lenses like 85 mm 1,2 can give you unique
look of extreme shallow DOF, but working on 100 Mpx files for most of portraits is putting me off.
For some work I have been using Sensor+ setting on my phase One / on Hasselblad / for portraits - good solution for
portraiture when I can easily shoot 500 images per shoot .
For my understanding Pixel binning could also give better quality.
A bit pity if FUJI offers smaller pixel size froM GFX for images in ....... jpeg.
( this is what I can read in specs )
-
No small Raw, no pixel binning. Yet. Fuji is good at adding features in firmware upgrades, so we'll see what comes.
I use the GFX100 mostly for portraits it seems, even though I expected it to be a landscape camera. The files are quite marvelous.
-
Thanks _ So no need to rush for me.
Let see if smaller Raw will come up for GFX100.
Regarding Pixelbinning . I hope this technology will
be used more with increased amount of High MPx cameras.
-
Pixel binning was unique to Dalsa chips, CCD. Gave you much cleaner files albeit at 1/4 the resolution. 15 megapixel
IQ4 offers a sensor plus mode same 1/4 of the resolution. But file quality is the same just smaller at 37 megapixels.
Since the GFX100 chip is the same tech as the IQ4 chip it possible Fuji might bring this out via future firmware. I would prefer they figure out a way to use pixel shift for greater resolution output. Since the camera has IBIS it would be possible and a huge advantage if implemented well.
Fuji has been very quiet on future firmware feature updates on the GFX100
Paul C
-
Current P65 seldom user I'm trying to figure out if GFX100 is a
right camera for me - I would like to try it also for portraits (I find human face so rich in expressions that I seldom shoot just a couple of pictures - and feel often
that shooting a person with less the 100 exposures a misconduct :-)
[...]
P65+ has a nice pixel binning mode actually.
Why is this technology not adapted i days of 100 MPX sensors ....
Seems like you'd like either the IQ3 100mp which has an extraordinarily efficient compressed raw mode; far smaller file size without dropping in resolution, or the IQ4 150mp which has a reduced-resolution mode for 38mp raws.
If you'd like to try one, and you're in the USA we have show rooms in NYC and LA and are glad to ship gear anywhere in the USA.