Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Mark Nadler on December 19, 2019, 01:31:46 am

Title: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: Mark Nadler on December 19, 2019, 01:31:46 am
Comments welcomed.

Mark
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 19, 2019, 10:50:29 am
Beautifully seen and executed.
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: stamper on December 19, 2019, 11:17:04 am
I like this. Did you use the threshold filter in PS to get the effect?
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: langier on December 19, 2019, 11:23:49 am
Nice and simple!
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: RSL on December 19, 2019, 11:37:19 am
Beautifully seen and executed.

+1
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: John R on December 19, 2019, 03:09:21 pm
Reminds me of the old film that was used to create masks. Perhaps this was done as Stamper suggested. Very stark but unnatural silhouettes. Nevertheless, as a representation, it is quite effective.

JR
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: Mark Nadler on December 21, 2019, 12:37:05 am
Thanks for the positive comments.  After I took this picture I decided on its development.  I
wish I could say that I have some special technique for accomplishing the image's effects but the
truth is I just played with various sliders and effects in Lightroom and Nik software to accomplish it.

mark
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: brandtb on December 21, 2019, 11:32:57 am
Nice graphic composition/silhouette - I think it could've used a bit more space above tall figure - it's really close to the edge of the frame and "feels a bit tight".
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 21, 2019, 01:57:31 pm
Nice graphic composition/silhouette - I think it could've used a bit more space above tall figure - it's really close to the edge of the frame and "feels a bit tight".

I agree, and of course since it's just white, adding some space would be trivial.

The first glance took me back to my schooldays in the darkroom, playing with lith film and getting similar results. Happy memories.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: John R on December 21, 2019, 02:35:12 pm
I agree, and of course since it's just white, adding some space would be trivial.

The first glance took me back to my schooldays in the darkroom, playing with lith film and getting similar results. Happy memories.

Jeremy
Yes, lithographic film is what I was looking for. Thanks for that Jeremy. BTW, Mark, I am confused as to why your images are signed with a different name than Mark.

JR
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 21, 2019, 02:49:19 pm
BTW, Mark, I am confused as to why your images are signed with a different name than Mark.

JR
It's an anagram for "Mark Nadler."   :)
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: Mark Nadler on December 24, 2019, 06:03:16 pm
I agree with the comment that a bit more breathing room on top is needed.

I think how I developed this image strongly brings out the father/son relationship by focusing
the viewers eyes on both the difference in size between subjects and their physical closeness.

At one time is was convenient for me not use my real name (I will spare you the reasons.)  So I made
Mark into Karm and Nadler into Redland (I know I added an extra "d.").  I have gotten so use to this
fictitious name in my photography that I have stuck with it even though it is no longer needed.

Mark
Title: Re: Father and Son Fishing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 25, 2019, 11:00:04 am
"Karm Redland" sounds better than "Red Karmlan," I think.   ;)