Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on December 17, 2019, 09:24:08 pm

Title: Blue forest
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 17, 2019, 09:24:08 pm
Feedback welcome.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 18, 2019, 04:34:50 am
I like it.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: francois on December 18, 2019, 05:35:23 am
Busy… cold chaos and I like it. I feel like I can hear the muffled sounds of winter.
Well done.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 18, 2019, 05:54:06 am
Nice. Cold!
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 19, 2019, 08:22:14 pm
Busy… cold chaos and I like it. I feel like I can hear the muffled sounds of winter.
Well done.

Thanks, Paulo, Francois, and Eric. Here's a slight tweak.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: francois on December 20, 2019, 04:34:41 am
I like this version a bit more. There's a bit more details in the trees and with the lighter sky, the whole scene looks less hazy… but I need to have a longer look at the newest version.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 20, 2019, 04:59:07 pm
Both versions are excellent, but I prefer the new one. The snow feels more like snow, and the visual balance just feels right.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 20, 2019, 09:44:06 pm
Many thanks, Eric and Francois. The main difference in #2 is that I used a white vignetting to try and enhance the depth.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: francois on December 21, 2019, 05:50:28 am
Many thanks, Eric and Francois. The main difference in #2 is that I used a white vignetting to try and enhance the depth.

Whatever you used produces a better image (in my opinion, of course). The vignetting probably adds just enough light to make things appear bighter and with a tad more contrast!
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 21, 2019, 05:52:33 am
Nice image, but what does it have to do with “blue”?
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: Chris Calohan on December 21, 2019, 07:16:50 am
Looks like a slight bit of selenium toning...hence the blue but agree the second image has a better feeling of depth.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 21, 2019, 07:36:24 am
Both versions are excellent, but I prefer the new one. The snow feels more like snow, and the visual balance just feels right.

-1. The original was a fine shot. I don't think lightening the periphery, particularly the distant trees on the right, improves it at all.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 21, 2019, 09:51:02 am
-1. The original was a fine shot. I don't think lightening the periphery, particularly the distant trees on the right, improves it at all.

Jeremy
Ah, Jeremy! How many times do I have to explain it to you: It's my preference that counts!   :o   :D

Eric
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: brandtb on December 21, 2019, 11:29:39 am
Scott - very nice that first image, the general scene, and especially the beautiful tone and overall feeling. I don't think that second version improves on the first in any way - chiefly because of the "crop" on left side. The first example has basically an equidistant amount of space on the outer side of the two "principal trees" on left and right closest to the viewer. I think in this instance that equal space helps the image and is graphically very important - losing it detracts. /B
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 21, 2019, 01:23:28 pm
After studying both versions again, I must agree with Brandt about the cropping, but I still find the first version a tiny bit too dark for the snow to feel like snow to me. Perhaps a tiny brightening of the entire image or just the central 80% might satisfy me.
Title: Re: Blue forest
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 22, 2019, 12:34:33 am
Brandt, Jeremy -- I agree about the unbalance and weird right light in #2. Thanks!

Slobodan, Chris -- the snow looked blue to me that day. Admittedly, the title was gratuitous novelty enhancement.  ;)

Eric, Francois -- I won't try your patience with more versions, but your latest suggestions seem to work. I also went back to the first crop.