Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on December 17, 2019, 01:30:56 pm

Title: Brisk
Post by: MattBurt on December 17, 2019, 01:30:56 pm
First real cold morning of the winter today with about -20 F at my house. It's a good time to get river photos while there is still open water to produce steam. Left the dog at home today!

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49233410383_8baf22bcf4_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2i1A6Da)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49233411238_824eac2782_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2i1A6TU)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49233412128_226486e3d7_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2i1A7af)
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: RSL on December 17, 2019, 02:21:15 pm
Brrrrr.....
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: armand on December 17, 2019, 02:26:57 pm
Brave man, -20F is pushing it (so far I went out willingly for photos to around 0F)
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: MattBurt on December 17, 2019, 03:39:25 pm
Brave man, -20F is pushing it (so far I went out willingly for photos to around 0F)

I find it's not too bad as long as I dress appropriately and don't stay out too long. Also: Keep the gloves on, try not to touch any skin to anything metal.  :o
Below -30 it gets pretty harsh.
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 17, 2019, 03:42:14 pm
I'm so glad you are young and hardy, so I can enjoy these great photos, in my warm and cozy house!
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: petermfiore on December 17, 2019, 03:46:16 pm
Great light captures...

I go out in temps to -10F. I don't hang out all that long, just long enough to get what I need. There is a huge difference between -10F and 0F.
Wind is the killer in these temperatures.

Peter
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: MattBurt on December 17, 2019, 03:58:13 pm
Great light captures...

I go out in temps to -10F. I don't hang out all that long, just long enough to get what I need. There is a huge difference between -10F and 0F.
Wind is the killer in these temperatures.

Peter

It's almost always calm when it gets this cold. On calm clear winter mornings we get an inversion and the cold air just sits here in the the valley. 1000' higher and it will be 20-30* warmer some mornings.
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: petermfiore on December 17, 2019, 04:02:04 pm
It's almost always calm when it gets this cold. On calm clear winter mornings we get an inversion and the cold air just sits here in the the valley. 1000' higher and it will be 20-30* warmer some mornings.

I live along the Delaware River in NE PA. It's a valley and often gusty winds that are punishing... this area is magical and always inspiring.

Peter
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: MattBurt on December 17, 2019, 05:57:53 pm
I live along the Delaware River in NE PA. It's a valley and often gusty winds that are punishing... this area is magical and always inspiring.

Peter

I bet that is cold! Being pretty dry here it's surprisingly tolerable compared to similar or even warmer temps in Michigan where it's a lot more humid.
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 17, 2019, 09:25:58 pm
The worst weather makes the best photos.  :D

I especially like the repeated rhythm in #1. Good seeing.
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 18, 2019, 04:34:04 am
Great set.
Title: Re: Brisk
Post by: MattBurt on December 18, 2019, 11:43:23 am
Thanks all! It's a beautiful time of year that tests our meddle. Yesterday's high was 7 F.
I didn't go any further than my porch this morning for this sundog.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49237998788_f7bd5888bd_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2i1ZBBA)