Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: serf on November 26, 2006, 06:28:30 pm
-
I tried printing the inkjetart density panels on the iPF5000 (from Photoshop at 8-bits to develop 8-bit profiles down the road). I was printing on Brilliant Supreme Luster 17" roll. I tried printing 5 times using the media setting for special 1, special 5, heavyweight coated, semi-glossy photo, and heavyweight semi-glossy photo. I am using an Intel Mac Pro & the new Canadian driver.
I was expecting more of a difference than I saw. In fact, there was very little difference. To the extent there was a difference, special 1 seemed to be slightly better in creating a difference between panels 5 & 10, then special 5, then the rest.
Are others who tried this seeing more of an effect? If not, it makes me wonder whether this driver is working. Thanks.
-
I tried printing the inkjetart density panels on the iPF5000 (from Photoshop at 8-bits to develop 8-bit profiles down the road). I was printing on Brilliant Supreme Luster 17" roll. I tried printing 5 times using the media setting for special 1, special 5, heavyweight coated, semi-glossy photo, and heavyweight semi-glossy photo. I am using an Intel Mac Pro & the new Canadian driver.
I was expecting more of a difference than I saw. In fact, there was very little difference. To the extent there was a difference, special 1 seemed to be slightly better in creating a difference between panels 5 & 10, then special 5, then the rest.
Are others who tried this seeing more of an effect? If not, it makes me wonder whether this driver is working. Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87237\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Did they all pass the test of being able to see the white crosses on the black squares? What are special 1 and special 5?
--John
-
Did they all pass the test of being able to see the white crosses on the black squares? What are special 1 and special 5?
--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, I can see the crosses about the same on all of them. Special 1 & special 5 are two types of paper available on the roll (can't recall about cut sheet) as alternatives when another Canon media type does not work well. I recall reading that special 5 puts down more ink than special 1. (There are five "specials" from 1 to 5.) Thanks.
-
Yes, I can see the crosses about the same on all of them. Special 1 & special 5 are two types of paper available on the roll (can't recall about cut sheet) as alternatives when another Canon media type does not work well. I recall reading that special 5 puts down more ink than special 1. (There are five "specials" from 1 to 5.) Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would probably try building profiles with semi-glossy photo (reputed to be the best choice for luster papers) and Special 1 and then comparing them in Colorthink pro for Gamut and dmax, then doing prints on them to see if there is any difference. Why are you just using the 8 bit version?
--John
-
Yes, I can see the crosses about the same on all of them. Special 1 & special 5 are two types of paper available on the roll (can't recall about cut sheet) as alternatives when another Canon media type does not work well. I recall reading that special 5 puts down more ink than special 1. (There are five "specials" from 1 to 5.) Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This printer would really benefit from a good RIP to control ink densities. I'm rather disappointed with the Canon software, even though the export plugin was a step in the right direction. Its got to be understood by all inkjet printer manufacturers that someday their user base is going to want to use 3rd party media. They are certainly making it difficult! And I know why...they make all their money on ink & paper so its in their best interest to keep you on their media as long as possible.
Case in point is the HP B9180. That printer just won't print on certain types of paper! And I mean great papers like Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl, and Crane's Silver Rag. The ink and the coatings of the paper just don't mingle well.e
If the paper you're talking about is anything like Epson Premium Luster then I would stick with the Photo Paper Plus SemiGloss setting. That seemed to perform the best for me. Even if there are a few anomalies any good profiler (ProfileMaker Pro 5, Monaco Profiler) should be able to contend with them reasonably well.
Good luck,
-eric-
-
...and while the Inkjet Art density test image is useful, I also suggest downloading Bill Atkinson's "profile test images". The RGB Blends and RGB Hues targets are pretty good at identifying weird printer behavior, and can help establish the closest media setting for any given paper/ink/printer combination.
http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html (http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html)
Cheers,
-eric-
-
...and while the Inkjet Art density test image is useful, I also suggest downloading Bill Atkinson's "profile test images". The RGB Blends and RGB Hues targets are pretty good at identifying weird printer behavior, and can help establish the closest media setting for any given paper/ink/printer combination.
http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html (http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html)
Cheers,
-eric-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87254\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, I'll try that.
-
I would probably try building profiles with semi-glossy photo (reputed to be the best choice for luster papers) and Special 1 and then comparing them in Colorthink pro for Gamut and dmax, then doing prints on them to see if there is any difference. Why are you just using the 8 bit version?
--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't have Colorthink. I'll check it out.
Apparently no one else is seeing the same thing (or not testing different settings)?
I was making a profile for when I want to use the 8-bit to print quick blowups of kids sports photos for their parents - just want a decent blowup, not a work of art.
-
Apparently no one else is seeing the same thing (or not testing different settings)?
Since I am currently not able to make any prints, I am not to the testing stage (yet).
Will have to call my dealer--and Canon--tomorrow to find out why the Status Monitor keeps crashing and the Cassette doesn't appear as a choice in the Photoshop Export module.
--John
-
Since I am currently not able to make any prints, I am not to the testing stage (yet).
Will have to call my dealer--and Canon--tomorrow to find out why the Status Monitor keeps crashing and the Cassette doesn't appear as a choice in the Photoshop Export module.
--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry, I was not aware you had that issue. I think Dennis had a good suggestion in the other thread. I'm using Mac - are you using PC? I have not had the GARO crash you described.
-
Sorry, I was not aware you had that issue. I think Dennis had a good suggestion in the other thread. I'm using Mac - are you using PC? I have not had the GARO crash you described.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87280\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Fixed it by uninstall -> repair. Added to FAQ.
Dennis solved my other problem also. In spite of all my research, it is so unintuitive that I didn't realize I had selected a media type that doesn't allow printing from the cassette!!!
--John
-
Eric -
This from CD Tobie on the Epson Wide Format list (yahoo) -
"I don't understand this comment; I've been building custom ICC profiles for
the iPF5000 both via the normal driver and the export module, and using these
custom profiles for many media, mostly fine art media, through both methods
(though each with its own profile, they are not quite identical enough to be
interchangable). No problem printing on third party gloss fine art or matte fine
art media, other than the printer being tempermental loading sheets. Profile
results from PrintFIX PRO 2.0 are exceptional, especially with compentation for
shadow detail clogs that art papers are prone to. Custom profiles show up and
print fine from the plugin. There are a couple of bugs that no one else seems
to have notices and/or experienced, but I find you must open the "main" page,
and not print from the default "pages and copies" page of the driver, or it
does not use the correct media setting, and the export module does not use the
correct gamma when printing via the default color or grayscale settings, so it
must be used with a custom ICC profile. But these bugs (if they are actually
bugs, they certainly seem to be on my system) are not fatal, just annoying.
C. David Tobie
Product Technology Manager
ColorVision Business Division
DataColor Inc.
[email protected]
www.colorvision.com
Many of us are finding using non Canon media to not be a problem generally.
Just thought I would share that ...
Gary
This printer would really benefit from a good RIP to control ink densities. I'm rather disappointed with the Canon software, even though the export plugin was a step in the right direction. Its got to be understood by all inkjet printer manufacturers that someday their user base is going to want to use 3rd party media. They are certainly making it difficult! And I know why...they make all their money on ink & paper so its in their best interest to keep you on their media as long as possible.
Case in point is the HP B9180. That printer just won't print on certain types of paper! And I mean great papers like Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl, and Crane's Silver Rag. The ink and the coatings of the paper just don't mingle well.e
If the paper you're talking about is anything like Epson Premium Luster then I would stick with the Photo Paper Plus SemiGloss setting. That seemed to perform the best for me. Even if there are a few anomalies any good profiler (ProfileMaker Pro 5, Monaco Profiler) should be able to contend with them reasonably well.
Good luck,
-eric-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]