Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Shiftworker on December 11, 2019, 01:21:35 pm

Title: What EF compatible 24-70 for landscapes (flat field at infinity)
Post by: Shiftworker on December 11, 2019, 01:21:35 pm
Several EF 24-70 2.8II passed through my hands before I realized they were not faulty but had by design very curved focus fields at infinity. I could have sharp corners and edges and sharp center - but not at the same time. Ok I'm looking at this on an A7rIV with 61mp (yes I have tried different adaptors of different thicknesses) so it's a tough test but the results were still as bad on my S1 with 24mp. I've got a very good Contax 35-70 3.4 which is way better as is my 16-35 F4. I'm going to try the 24-70 F4 IS as I don't really need F2.8 but are there any 24-70's from Tamron, Sigma etc (or 105) that work well at long distances or are they all optimized for close distances (test charts for the review ratings)?
Title: Re: What EF compatible 24-70 for landscapes (flat field at infinity)
Post by: Shiftworker on December 15, 2019, 02:59:37 am
Replaced the 2.8 with the F4 and it's got a much flatter field at infinity Maybe not as absolutely sharp in the center but seriously better out to the edges.