Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: petermfiore on November 23, 2019, 07:55:48 am

Title: Stop
Post by: petermfiore on November 23, 2019, 07:55:48 am
Stop...


Peter
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: KLaban on November 23, 2019, 08:08:59 am
Peter, I like it very much.

Between us we could create a series ;-)

(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Stop.jpg)
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: petermfiore on November 23, 2019, 08:10:53 am
I like your idea!

In my picture I saw two stops. The red light, and the window screen as a physical STOP...


Peter
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: Rob C on November 23, 2019, 08:19:46 am
Differential focus has always been a great idea: ask Hans Feurer!

:-)
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: petermfiore on November 23, 2019, 08:25:10 am
Differential focus has always been a great idea: ask Hans Feurer!

:-)

Yes it is and Leiter is my man...

Peter
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: KLaban on November 23, 2019, 08:49:51 am
I like your idea!

In my picture I saw two stops. The red light, and the window screen as a physical STOP...


Peter

I saw mine as STOP PHOTOGRAPHING!

;-)
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: Rob C on November 23, 2019, 08:53:02 am
Yes it is and Leiter is my man...

Peter


Yep, mine too. If you don't have them, the twin black/white books (by Steidl) are worth buying. They reveal the another side to his world and work. They could have been slightly larger, the books, but then I don't think Leiter was ever into making anything bigger than what he could get onto full plate or 8x10 paper. He seems never to have had any spare money for most of his life, which accounted for a lot of the colour effects from out-of-date and probably badly stored colour films. I have some beautifully conserved film in the freezer, much of it Kodachrome, so my stash is effectively as useless at the moment as his might have been, only in different ways.

I wonder if he was ever really aware of what a seminal figure and influence he truly was? In some interviews he comes over as very modest, but could he have been, considering the acclaim that came his way, nor forgetting the couple of decades during which he worked for the best magazines in the world?

I guess that doing interviews on a stage when you are quite aged must be both wearying and boring when you find yourself having to do so many in a brief few years. That tiredness can easily be misinterpreted for something else.

:-)
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: petermfiore on November 23, 2019, 09:20:42 am
I wonder if he was ever really aware of what a seminal figure and influence he truly was? In some interviews he comes over as very modest, but could he have been, considering the acclaim that came his way, nor forgetting the couple of decades during which he worked for the best magazines in the world?
:-)
Rob,

Money is fleeting...Leiter was an artist, foremost. Many artist's I know are about the art, not the business of art. You truly can't be both. The dealers of the business world need to have the artist packaged. Artists don't like wrappings.
It's a mean situation, but very real.

Peter
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 24, 2019, 01:48:10 pm
Here's my version of "Stop."
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: petermfiore on November 24, 2019, 01:51:27 pm
Here's my version of "Stop."

A blurpy messy stop...I like it.

Peter
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 24, 2019, 05:46:47 pm
Thanks, Peter.
To me it looks like the Tar Monster was trying to eat the "Stop."
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: petermfiore on November 24, 2019, 05:49:35 pm
Thanks, Peter.
To me it looks like the Tar Monster was trying to eat the "Stop."

Stops get hungry too!

Peter
Title: Re: Stop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 24, 2019, 11:12:04 pm
 
Stops get hungry too!

Peter
;D