Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Ben Rubinstein on November 25, 2006, 12:44:50 pm

Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: Ben Rubinstein on November 25, 2006, 12:44:50 pm
My screen is set to 1024 by 768. Until now the site has been cut off on the side due to the new design but the Whats New page seemed to be OK. I clicked to read the new review and there is no point where I can fit all the article width ways across the screen, I have to scroll across while I read.

Needless to say I didn't bother. It would be rather upsetting to me to miss the content of a site that I respect a lot due to it being unreadable at a still popular screen resolution...
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: michael on November 25, 2006, 03:12:14 pm
I think that you're having a browser problem.

i have no such issue on 4 different browsers or two seperate machines at that screen resolution.

Michael
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: jdemott on November 25, 2006, 05:03:28 pm
I have the identical problem at 1024 by 768 in IE7 in both full screen and normal mode.  There was another thread with numerous reports of problems with the new site displaying page width correctly.  Obviously, more work is needed.
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: DaveLon on November 25, 2006, 05:13:55 pm
Works for me at 1280x1024 or 960  but cuts off at XX by 768.

Dave S
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: lbergman on November 25, 2006, 05:22:23 pm
I checked several articles and everything fits for me at 1024x768 at full screen, with the exception of the table near the bottom of the SanDisk IV review.  I'm using Firefox 2.0.
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: DavidJ on November 25, 2006, 06:03:30 pm
Same problem as Ben with this particular article. Most of the others so far have been OK with the new layout. My display is 1280X1024 browser is ie6. Never any problems previously on the site.

David
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: michael on November 25, 2006, 06:03:36 pm
We expect to revise the page layout over the next couple of weeks, so hang in there if you're having problems.

Michael
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: Richowens on November 25, 2006, 06:12:10 pm
I think it will be well worth the wait.  

Rich
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: Jack Flesher on November 26, 2006, 12:23:47 am
Michael is correct, y'all have browser issues.  I can squeeze the window down to 600 wide and still read everything without scrolling.
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: wolfnowl on November 26, 2006, 12:59:59 am
To add one more to the list, I've tried IE 7 and my default Netscape 8.1 at 1024x768 under XP and have no problems with the pages.

Mike.
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: Nick Rains on November 26, 2006, 02:50:33 am
Quote
Michael is correct, y'all have browser issues.  I can squeeze the window down to 600 wide and still read everything without scrolling.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe, maybe not. The table in the Sandisk article is set as follows:

<table width="1176" border="1" align="center"> (from the source code view)

A simple coding mistake, easily made, and easily corrected.

Otherwise the site fits fine on a 1024x768 setup with Firefox, but only at full screen. In Firefox it is not possible to reduce the screen below 1024 wide without the dreaded bottom scroll bar appearing.
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: Jack Flesher on November 26, 2006, 02:10:29 pm
Quote
Maybe, maybe not. The table in the Sandisk article is set as follows:

<table width="1176" border="1" align="center"> (from the source code view)

A simple coding mistake, easily made, and easily corrected.

Otherwise the site fits fine on a 1024x768 setup with Firefox, but only at full screen. In Firefox it is not possible to reduce the screen below 1024 wide without the dreaded bottom scroll bar appearing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My bad -- sorry.  I was referring to the forum pages.  On the site pages I get the scroll bar at 1024 as well.
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on November 26, 2006, 05:56:11 pm
Quote
Maybe, maybe not. The table in the Sandisk article is set as follows:

<table width="1176" border="1" align="center"> (from the source code view)

A simple coding mistake, easily made, and easily corrected.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Corrected  - again (Thanks Jani!)
Title: This is getting silly!
Post by: jani on November 26, 2006, 06:28:48 pm
I think I may have found the source of the problem, since it persists in the Sandisk article.

First, you have DIV class="sidebar_wrapper" at a width defined in the style sheet (200 px).

This DIV contains several other DIVs, with a margin-right of 35 px.

Then you have a DIV id="content" with a minimum-width of 790 px and margin-right of 10 px (defined in the HTML code); this is the element that's placed to the right of the sidebar.

So, you have basically have a minimum requirement page width equal to:

200 + 35 + 790 + 10 = 1035 px

But there's more!

Within the "content" div, you have a conflicting table width declaration of "930", automatically interpreted as 930 px.

So the minimum required width is, in fact:

200 + 35 + 930 + 10 = 1175 px.

This is not a browser issue.

Those with browsers that don't show the problem have browser "issues", as in browsers not attempting to comply with the display instructions in the web page.


My advice: drop the pixel width requirement in the "content" div and the big table. The only graphical element that requires a certain width is the menu sidebar, and that would be better defined by using a with in terms of ems (use the length in characters of the longest text, that will give some headroom) plus a small margin (1-2 em).