Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Pnad on November 21, 2019, 10:21:39 am

Title: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Pnad on November 21, 2019, 10:21:39 am
I started mass printing for schools with my pro4000 and use 10" rolls, however when printing borderless the printer cut about 2inch empty stripes at each "pages" so it ends up wasting alot of paper after hundreds of pages.

I could obviously not set it to borderless, then id need to print the 8x10 on the other side, meaning another 2inch total "lost on the sides.

What would be my best solution? buying 13" rolls and going bordered? or can I adjust how many safe marging the printer cut each time for borderless? its also a pain in the ass to pick up between pages.
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Panagiotis on November 21, 2019, 01:19:16 pm
I started mass printing for schools with my pro4000 and use 10" rolls, however when printing borderless the printer cut about 2inch empty stripes at each "pages" so it ends up wasting alot of paper after hundreds of pages.

I could obviously not set it to borderless, then id need to print the 8x10 on the other side, meaning another 2inch total "lost on the sides.

What would be my best solution? buying 13" rolls and going bordered? or can I adjust how many safe marging the printer cut each time for borderless? its also a pain in the ass to pick up between pages.

Something like Epson Surelab SL-D800 is the tool for this kind of job. If I have to do it on a PRO-4000 I would print multiple 8X10 on a 44" roll an I would separated them on the cutting mat.
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Pnad on November 21, 2019, 01:50:42 pm
I do have a big rotatrim cutter, but cutting thousands of 8x10? Nope, id rather lose paper stripes then. The whole point of this, is I can start a big production, and come back a hour later to swap the empty roll.

Since theres also alot of different orders configuration, I will lose significant time arranging the multiple. Orders on the 44 roll.

Looks like wasting 2inch stipes is sadly the faster and more efficient solution.
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: ConnorRay on November 21, 2019, 05:45:52 pm
IMAGEPRINT with "Cut-It-Out!"

https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Pete Berry on November 22, 2019, 12:00:48 am
I started mass printing for schools with my pro4000 and use 10" rolls, however when printing borderless the printer cut about 2inch empty stripes at each "pages" so it ends up wasting alot of paper after hundreds of pages.

I could obviously not set it to borderless, then id need to print the 8x10 on the other side, meaning another 2inch total "lost on the sides.

What would be my best solution? buying 13" rolls and going bordered? or can I adjust how many safe marging the printer cut each time for borderless? its also a pain in the ass to pick up between pages.

In the driver of the prior iPF series of LF printers there was an option on the layout page with roll +/- borderless selected: "No spaces at top or bottom (conserve paper)" box. When checked, only a 3mm bottom margin left - otherwise the 2" you mention. This should hopefully carry forward to the pro series.

But it's a sticky setting, so has to be unchecked not to get your ordinary roll prints with wider margins cut short.

Pete
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Pnad on November 22, 2019, 09:01:31 am
Weird, that box is already check. In fact I had no idea What that setting meant, thx for the clarification!
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: mearussi on November 22, 2019, 09:02:13 am
In my Canon ipf6400 driver there is an option for "banner" printing that tells the printer to cut at the end of each print. See if you have a similar setting in your driver. 
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Pnad on November 22, 2019, 09:14:07 am
I remember seeing this banner option! Will give it a try.
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: mearussi on November 22, 2019, 10:33:45 am
I remember seeing this banner option! Will give it a try.
Just remember that since it leaves no space between prints when the printer cuts them they'll be slightly smaller by a fraction of an inch than the specified dimensions.
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Pete Berry on November 22, 2019, 01:20:44 pm
Weird, that box is already check. In fact I had no idea What that setting meant, thx for the clarification!

That's strange. What is your image size, what margins desired since borderless not checked, and what orientation on the roll paper - portrait or landscape?

Pete
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Pnad on November 22, 2019, 02:27:01 pm
8x10 on 10" rolls, borderless IS checked.
Title: Re: Pro4000 wasting alot of paper
Post by: Pete Berry on November 22, 2019, 04:17:50 pm
That's strange. What is your image size, what margins desired since borderless not checked, and what orientation on the roll paper - portrait or landscape?

Pete

If you sized your images to, say, 7.75x9.75", leaving a 1/8" (minimal printable border) all around, and oriented the images as "landscape" on the roll - meaning that the long axis falls on the 10" roll width, the images would print as you like with the minimal border and a regular cut at the end of each, without checking the (non-functioning) "conserve paper" box. I do this all the time with portrait-viewed images on a 17" roll for a 12x16 image with 1/2" borders all 'round and no paper wastage.
Pete