Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: JohnFynPhoto on November 21, 2019, 09:57:38 am
-
Hi all,
Recently re-organised my studio and located the printer (Canon Pixma Pro 1) a bit further from my PC. When it was next to PC, it was connected view USB.
I tried connecting it via Ethernet but found it too slow, so I bought a 5m long USB cable.
But I am getting weird print results - Images squashed and some really weird lines and just weird stuff on the print.
(So it's not a printer hardware problem, just to be clear).
Seems that the printer doesn't like the long cable, but ethernet is too slow.
Anyone experience this and solution?
Thanks
-
Try using an active USB cable, not the usual (passive) type of cable.
Active cables have additional circuitry (amplifiers) built in which allow them to overcome the limitations on length that passive cables have.
-
Try using an active USB cable, not the usual (passive) type of cable.
Active cables have additional circuitry (amplifiers) built in which allow them to overcome the limitations on length that passive cables have.
Yes, e.g. Delock Cable USB, active xx meters.
Available for USB2 and USB3 at different lengths, 5 meter being a common extension length.
-
Yes an active USB cable is required over 2m and certainly up to 5m. Don't go over 5m.
If the ethernet is slow then you probably have another problem. Ideally set a fixed IP address in the printer and make sure that all connections and hubs are 100 Base T full duplex or better and that the cable is new.
-
For many years I've been using the Active USB cables. I use a combination of three 5m cables (45ft.) with absolutely no issues. I'm on a Mac Pro but I cannot think of any reason it wouldn't work just as well with a Windows computer. I've run an Epson 9900 and now a P7000 with this cable combination and have never had any problems. :)
-
We have here usb cables over 20m (65feet). As long as they are active usb cables, the printing goes fine. As mentioned in previous post.
If you exceed about 3m (10ft) of regular usb cable, you will experience issues (printer not found, data loss ect).