Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Redcrown on November 17, 2019, 11:19:09 am

Title: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Redcrown on November 17, 2019, 11:19:09 am
Yesterday, my local newspaper published an article describing someone as "queer." Apparently the proverbial shit hit the fan here on the edge of the Bible belt. So today they published an article defending use of the term "queer", citing some obscure organization who maintains a media guide for accepted use.

(I'm not sure if you can access these links without a subscription)

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2019/11/14/openly-queer-united-methodist-pastor-anna-blaedel-takes-leave-absence/4184201002/

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2019/11/15/glaad-approves-use-queer-those-who-identify-term/4205672002/

I poked around with Google and found more claims that using the word "queer" is OK if you are, not OK if you are not. Kinda like the N-word. Reading the fairly recent history of LGBTQ terminology is equally bothersome. It seems there is a constant push to add more letters.

I'm really worried that I may suffer discrimination and public humiliation for not knowing this stuff. So I propose a new acronym, "OFDKDC" (pronounced "off-dick-duh-see") which stands for "Old fart, don't know, don't care." We could wear  t-shirts with the term and thus demand to be excused for any public gaffs.

Who is with me on this? Please pledge some money to my funraising campaign at www.getscamed.com/OFDNDK. All donatations will be used to form a media guide lobbying organization.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: RSL on November 17, 2019, 01:01:25 pm
The “N” word always has been an evil word, Red, but until the late fifties or early sixties “queer” was a perfectly useful word meaning something unusual. It’s one of several once wonderful and useful words destroyed by “modernity.” “Fairy” comes to mind, and well as “faggot.”
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Aram Hăvărneanu on November 17, 2019, 01:52:55 pm
Beatings will continue until morale improves.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 17, 2019, 04:08:24 pm
The “N” word always has been an evil word, Red, but until the late fifties or early sixties “queer” was a perfectly useful word meaning something unusual. It’s one of several once wonderful and useful words destroyed by “modernity.” “Fairy” comes to mind, and well as “faggot.”
As with the "N" word which as we all remember from Huckleberry Finn, language evolves and terms which were formerly accepted in everyday language take on a pejorative nature.  What makes things more complicated is that various ethnic, religious, and racial groups may use terms that those outside the group are "not permitted" to use.  "Blood" was a common term back in the late 1960s for African-American and I had a friend from the basketball team who used this all the time.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: JoeKitchen on November 17, 2019, 06:01:49 pm
I remember once when reading a Sherlock Holmes story, it was stated two lovers went to the park to engage in intercourse.  There was a foot note for the usage of the term intercourse and around the 1900s it meant two people engaging in the typical things two whom are dating do, like hang out in the park.  It had nothing to do with sex.  So, yes, words certainly evolve with time.   

Anyway, getting back to queer, have you seen the new Dave Chapelle special.  He had a funny clip about this and relating to his show from the 90s. 
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: JoeKitchen on November 17, 2019, 06:04:37 pm
As with the "N" word which as we all remember from Huckleberry Finn, language evolves and terms which were formerly accepted in everyday language take on a pejorative nature.  What makes things more complicated is that various ethnic, religious, and racial groups may use terms that those outside the group are "not permitted" to use. 

The problem with this though is it keeps the word alive. 

If you survey Mellenials, many of them have no idea what some of the other derogatory racist terms of decades past are, except for the n-word.  It has not died for this reason. 
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: John Camp on November 17, 2019, 06:40:36 pm
The "n" word was evil in the time of Mark Twain, he knew it and used it appropriately, IMHO. The most common use of the word (outside Texas, anyway) is in rap music, which is a shame, because it keeps the word alive. It's considered so bad that its influence has spread. The word "niggardly" means "stingy," but I've seen stories of people attacked for using it, and I wouldn't use it myself, even though it has been a completely useful and fairly common word for centuries.

A lot of the other words that cause conniptions among the socially righteous are hard to parse. I have a friend who refers to himself as queer, although he is not gay, because he identifies with the social/cultural matrix that includes the LGBT folks. I think a word that may capture his entire group would be "woke."

Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: RSL on November 17, 2019, 07:55:12 pm
Well said, John. The "N" word always has denigrated those to whom it was applied. In spite of Goldhammers remark, Mark Twain was well aware of that.

I once saw a lecturer use the term "niggardly," which resulted in a rebuke from a black member of the audience. Ignorance is universal.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 17, 2019, 08:27:45 pm
Nobody wants to listen to me, the contrarian: all drugs and all words should be legal (and yes, I am aware that all words are technically legal).
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Alan Klein on November 17, 2019, 10:10:29 pm
Who's on first?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: rabanito on November 18, 2019, 08:19:57 am
Nobody wants to listen to me, the contrarian: all drugs and all words should be legal (and yes, I am aware that all words are technically legal).
I remember being in a restaurant in a Spanish speaking land chatting with everybody present about this or that.
Then I used the colloquial word for homosexual, really in a neutral way.
And suddenly there was silence. I was startled
Then the manager came and explained to me that the word I'd used was OK ten years ago but now it was now anathema. One has to say "gay" (an English word) . The other word was pejorative.
Voilà
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Robert Roaldi on November 18, 2019, 08:22:27 am
Nobody wants to listen to me, the contrarian: all drugs and all words should be legal (and yes, I am aware that all words are technically legal).

You might be interesting in this podcast re drugs (1st half is on point if I remember): https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1533524547980 (https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1533524547980).

Btw, I don't know why you call yourself a contrarian, lots of people agree with you about the pointless and counterproductive war on drugs and they've been saying so for decades. Besides all the other problems with it, it has ever stopped the worldwide trade in drugs, not for one minute. But people prefer mythology.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 18, 2019, 08:26:59 am
. In spite of Goldhammers remark, Mark Twain was well aware of that.

It's good to see that you haven't lost your ability to get a dig in at me when I never said anything to that effect.  It was John Camp who made the comment about Twain being well aware of the nature of the 'N' word.  I ONLY said that he used it in Huckleberry Finn which is a true statement and made no comment about Twain's familiarity or lack thereof.  You need to read more carefully and leave personal animus out of comments.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Robert Roaldi on November 18, 2019, 08:29:27 am
The connotations of words change all the time, always have. It's an utter waste of time to sit around complaining about how some word or phrase has become verboten.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 18, 2019, 09:19:32 am
The connotations of words change all the time, always have. It's an utter waste of time to sit around complaining about how some word or phrase has become verboten.

People are not complaining that some word or phrase has become verboten. People are complaining that some word or phrase has become verboten.

And that’s what makes me a contrarian. How many people would agree with me that the n-word and many others shall be freely and frequently used without consequences, until it is so worn out that it loses its derogatory meaning? Like with most forbidden fruit, the more you forbid it, the more power you grant to it.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: RSL on November 18, 2019, 09:59:58 am
It's good to see that you haven't lost your ability to get a dig in at me when I never said anything to that effect.  It was John Camp who made the comment about Twain being well aware of the nature of the 'N' word.  I ONLY said that he used it in Huckleberry Finn which is a true statement and made no comment about Twain's familiarity or lack thereof.  You need to read more carefully and leave personal animus out of comments.

I'm so glad to see that you haven't lost your "sensitivity," Alan. Yes. I just LIVE to get in digs at you. Your implication was clear as a bell, in spite of what you "only" said.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Rob C on November 18, 2019, 02:35:18 pm
People are not complaining that some word or phrase has become verboten. People are complaining that some word or phrase has become verboten.

And that’s what makes me a contrarian. How many people would agree with me that the n-word and many others shall be freely and frequently used without consequences, until it is so worn out that it loses its derogatory meaning? Like with most forbidden fruit, the more you forbid it, the more power you grant to it.


I think that giving in to other people's ignorance and not feeling able to use the word niggardly is just plain silly. It has nothing to do with skin clouration. As long as you know what it means, it provides a great moment for thumping the politically correct nose. Which is a pleasant thing to do. Much the same feeling accompanies my delight in the word gay, as in bright and happy. If anything, it's the misappropriation of said word by the homosexual community that annoys the hell out of me.

Talk about tails wagging dogs!

Rob

Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: KLaban on November 18, 2019, 03:00:53 pm

I think that giving in to other people's ignorance and not feeling able to use the word niggardly is just plain silly. It has nothing to do with skin clouration. As long as you know what it means, it provides a great moment for thumping the politically correct nose. Which is a pleasant thing to do. Much the same feeling accompanies my delight in the word gay, as in bright and happy. If anything, it's the misappropriation of said word by the homosexual community that annoys the hell out of me.

Talk about tails wagging dogs!

Rob

Fair for us to assume that you are indeed gay then Rob and you'd have no issue with any of us declaring you as such to the world.

;-)
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Alan Klein on November 18, 2019, 03:10:03 pm
There are queer people who are not gay but sad and wish they were happy.  Then there are also gay people who are queer but not gay and sad as well.  Some gay people are happy and never sad.  Other gay people are always sad and never happy.  Meanwhile there are sad people who wish they were gay but then decided against it because they wouldn't want people to think they were queer.  The whole thing is crazily confusing and makes me want to take an aspirin.   :o
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Rob C on November 18, 2019, 03:25:02 pm
Fair for us to assume that you are indeed gay then Rob and you'd have no issue with any of us declaring you as such to the world.

;-)


When I am feeling happy, great; when I am not, I am not.

Reminds me of What's New, Pussycat, when Paula Prentiss claims to be a semi-virgin. 

Words can be fun!

:-)
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 18, 2019, 03:42:57 pm
I'm so glad to see that you haven't lost your "sensitivity," Alan. Yes. I just LIVE to get in digs at you. Your implication was clear as a bell, in spite of what you "only" said.
...and it's nigh to impossible to ever have an intelligent conversation with you.  I'm pleased that I don't live in your neighborhood, it must be rather dull if this is all you can do with your day.  I'm back to ignoring your posts which will please you.
Title: Re: My, that seems queer!
Post by: RSL on November 18, 2019, 03:56:57 pm
Frankly, Alan, I think it would be a good idea for you to ignore ALL posts and simply stop posting. You don't seem to be able to control your emotions. As I pointed out in another post, I spent eight years in politics, so insults don't bother me, but they do make your personal insecurity clear to everyone.