Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Waker on October 28, 2019, 04:55:34 pm

Title: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Waker on October 28, 2019, 04:55:34 pm
Can anyone suggest something MK in 44" rolls, that is around 180-220gsm?
a printing job needs smooth matte lighter weight paper in large sizes.

in heavier weights, I use:

Hahnemuhle PR Ultrasmooth
Canson Rag Photographique
Moab Entrada Natural.

Typically natural white, with minimal/no OBAs, and no texture.
Thanks
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Panagiotis on October 28, 2019, 05:12:26 pm
Can anyone suggest something MK in 44" rolls, that is around 180-220gsm?
a printing job needs smooth matte lighter weight paper in large sizes.

in heavier weights, I use:

Hahnemuhle PR Ultrasmooth
Canson Rag Photographique
Moab Entrada Natural.

Typically natural white, with minimal/no OBAs, and no texture.
Thanks

Hahnemuhle Photo Matt Fibre 200.
Natural white ,  litle OBA,  slight texture.
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Waker on October 28, 2019, 05:41:23 pm
Thanks!

plus I just found out that Moab make their Entrada Rag Natural in 190gsm, 44" rolls, so that should work.


Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on October 29, 2019, 03:48:22 am
Hahnemuhle Photo Matt Fibre 200.
Natural white ,  litle OBA,  slight texture.

Innova IFA24 Decor Art  is the same paper. 200 gr/m² 30 meters on a roll.
Dual sided version in sheets = IFA25.

Probably made by Felix Schoeller.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: I.T. Supplies on October 29, 2019, 09:09:52 am
It also depends on if you have a price range you're looking within.  They are all good papers and have their own distinct surface.

Moab's rolls are 190/300gsm (single sided) and 290gsm (double sided).  They will have 44" rolls in each weight.  Moab should also have large sheets available as well, but depends on the size and it may be in the heavier weight due to the size you're looking for.  They will have Natural for each weight too.
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Waker on October 29, 2019, 10:46:59 am
Very useful information. Thank you all!

Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: MfAlab on October 30, 2019, 05:54:04 am
Innova IFA24 Decor Art  is the same paper. 200 gr/m² 30 meters on a roll.
Dual sided version in sheets = IFA25.

Probably made by Felix Schoeller.

Hello Ernst, could you please reveal more about "Innova papers are made by Felix Schoeller". Thank you.

I'm always wondering who actually coated Innova papers. Their papers show a very special characteristic of ink absorbing and density compare to other brands. Maybe Innova ask Felix Schoeller a very different coating?
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: JRSmit on October 30, 2019, 12:14:45 pm
Innova IFA24 Decor Art  is the same paper. 200 gr/m² 30 meters on a roll.
Dual sided version in sheets = IFA25.

Probably made by Felix Schoeller.



Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Ditto, very high printquality. Used a lot for fine art poster type prints. Used for the film "Michiel de Ruyter", amongst others all seamaps, and a lot more.
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: JRSmit on October 30, 2019, 12:27:04 pm
Innova IFA24 Decor Art  is the same paper. 200 gr/m² 30 meters on a roll.
Dual sided version in sheets = IFA25.

Probably made by Felix Schoeller.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
To my knowledge IFA24 does not have OBA .
See attachés image for similar papers, at least the paperbase.
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on October 31, 2019, 05:09:10 am
Hello Ernst, could you please reveal more about "Innova papers are made by Felix Schoeller". Thank you.

I'm always wondering who actually coated Innova papers. Their papers show a very special characteristic of ink absorbing and density compare to other brands. Maybe Innova ask Felix Schoeller a very different coating?

That is not what I wrote.  That particular paper is most likely made by Felix Schoeller and sold by F-S, Hahnemühle, Innova Art and most likely more distributors. Next to similar spectral plots I had a conversation with someone in the know on the origins.

I do not see OBA content in my spectral plots but another person said it should contain some OBA. Could be my spectrometer not going far into UV to stimulate the OBA enough, could be the information is not correct. So I am a bit in doubt on that. Spectral plots image attached.

I have no clue who does the coatings of the other Innova papers. What I know is that the there are not many coating facilities in the EU. F-S has the widest coating machine. Hahnemühle uses the Sihl service for their normal papers. German magazine article source. It buys certain Baryte papers from F-S too though. RC papers are a commodity in general.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on October 31, 2019, 05:21:46 am
snip  Used for the film "Michiel de Ruyter", amongst others all seamaps, and a lot more.

Nice job.

And he arrived again at Chatham / Medway. Sometimes I wonder whether we should repeat that again in reality. Plant the EU flag then.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: MfAlab on October 31, 2019, 06:09:21 am
That is not what I wrote.  That particular paper is most likely made by Felix Schoeller and sold by F-S, Hahnemühle, Innova Art and most likely more distributors. Next to similar spectral plots I had a conversation with someone in the know on the origins.

I do not see OBA content in my spectral plots but another person said it should contain some OBA. Could be my spectrometer not going far into UV to stimulate the OBA enough, could be the information is not correct. So I am a bit in doubt on that. Spectral plots image attached.

I have no clue who does the coatings of the other Innova papers. What I know is that the there are not many coating facilities in the EU. F-S has the widest coating machine. Hahnemühle uses the Sihl service for their normal papers. German magazine article source. It buys certain Baryte papers from F-S too though. RC papers are a commodity in general.

I correct my words, you wrote "Probably".
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: aaronchan on November 01, 2019, 12:33:02 pm
I correct my words, you wrote "Probably".

Innova does have their own coating machine.They coat most of their "Higher End" paper.
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: mearussi on November 02, 2019, 01:39:43 am
Innova does have their own coating machine.They coat most of their "Higher End" paper.
Interesting, because their IFA-45 is one of my favorite papers with a higher dmax more intense than most others I've tried. But, of course, it's not cheap, and for this discussion not thin either.
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: JRSmit on November 06, 2019, 12:10:52 pm
Interesting, because their IFA-45 is one of my favorite papers with a higher dmax more intense than most others I've tried. But, of course, it's not cheap, and for this discussion not thin either.
I checked and was told that IFA24 is coated by Innova, which makes sense to given the Epson media type i choose for this and most innova matte papers. Which is different from f.i. Hahnemuhle or Canson.
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on November 07, 2019, 11:50:21 am
I checked and was told that IFA24 is coated by Innova, which makes sense to given the Epson media type i choose for this and most innova matte papers. Which is different from f.i. Hahnemuhle or Canson.

Jan,

I checked the 7 samples that I have, see my other comment.  The texture on both sides is the same, per single/dual coated version of course. The caliper is the same, 0.31mm for the single side coated. The spectral plots are the same. A big paper manufacturing company like Felix Schoeller does not buy coated papers from InnovaArt to sell them again as a house brand. It is a paper manufacturing company in the first place, what it distributes is made in its plants and if other distributors like to sell that too it is fine. Not the other way around.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: aaronchan on November 08, 2019, 10:40:38 am
Can anyone suggest something MK in 44" rolls, that is around 180-220gsm?
a printing job needs smooth matte lighter weight paper in large sizes.

in heavier weights, I use:

Hahnemuhle PR Ultrasmooth
Canson Rag Photographique
Moab Entrada Natural.

Typically natural white, with minimal/no OBAs, and no texture.
Thanks

Back to OP, why not use Epson Enhanced Matte? within 200gsm and is very easy to buy

aaron
Title: Re: Looking for Lightweight Smooth Matte paper in large rolls?
Post by: Waker on November 19, 2019, 07:06:57 pm
Back to OP, why not use Epson Enhanced Matte? within 200gsm and is very easy to buy

aaron

Apologies for slow reply. Was travelling.

afaik, Epson Enhanced Matte yellows badly with age. Need something very stable and light durable.
but thanks for the point.