Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: VincentDJohnson on October 24, 2019, 12:11:12 pm

Title: Labs that print glossy paper
Post by: VincentDJohnson on October 24, 2019, 12:11:12 pm
Are there any labs that print on glossy photographic paper anymore?

Back in 90s & early 2000s when I was using the lab at Columbia College Chicago, I printed all my color & cibachrome landscapes on glossy paper. I've been looking for something like it, but the only options I really see from labs are "metallic" or "adding a "luster" coat to the print.

Also, I'm interested in this on real photographic paper, not ink, or die. 

Thanks,
Vincent Johnson
LostAmericana.com (http://www.lostAmericana.com)
Title: Re: Labs that print glossy paper
Post by: mearussi on October 24, 2019, 12:19:43 pm
Are there any labs that print on glossy photographic paper anymore?

Back in 90s & early 2000s when I was using the lab at Columbia College Chicago, I printed all my color & cibachrome landscapes on glossy paper. I've been looking for something like it, but the only options I really see from labs are "metallic" or "adding a "luster" coat to the print.

Also, I'm interested in this on real photographic paper, not ink, or die. 

Thanks,
Vincent Johnson
LostAmericana.com (http://www.lostAmericana.com)
Which labs have you contacted? I don't know of any lab that doesn't offer glossy paper as an option.
Title: Re: Labs that print glossy paper
Post by: VincentDJohnson on October 24, 2019, 12:34:58 pm
Maybe I totally missed it, but I've been using Millers through Printroom. I looked at WHCC.

I see stuff like E-surface, but nothing that is true old school glossy.

https://www.millerslab.com/prints/photo-prints/papers (https://www.millerslab.com/prints/photo-prints/papers)
Title: Re: Labs that print glossy paper
Post by: mearussi on October 24, 2019, 01:12:20 pm
Maybe I totally missed it, but I've been using Millers through Printroom. I looked at WHCC.

I see stuff like E-surface, but nothing that is true old school glossy.

https://www.millerslab.com/prints/photo-prints/papers (https://www.millerslab.com/prints/photo-prints/papers)
If you're wanting traditional wet chemistry RA-4 prints then the Kodak E surface is their designation for glossy. Under Giclee glossy is listed.
Title: Re: Labs that print glossy paper
Post by: digitaldog on October 24, 2019, 01:15:36 pm
https://www.nancyscans.com/2d-printing

KRIST’L LIGHTJET PRINTS
The LightJet creates prints to 48” x 120” on Fuji Crystal Archive matte, gloss, super gloss, backlit trans and backlit clear.
Title: Re: Labs that print glossy paper
Post by: NAwlins_Contrarian on October 24, 2019, 10:14:37 pm
Are there any labs that print on glossy photographic paper anymore?

I printed all my color & cibachrome landscapes on glossy paper. I've been looking for something like it ....

Also, I'm interested in this on real photographic paper, not ink, or die. 

There are plenty of reputable labs that print on glossy photo papers, making 'real' RA-4 wet process prints. For something like Cibachrome, the closest you can get may the the material called various permutations on FujiFlex SuperGloss; it is also RA-4 process, but on plasticy base that provides a very glossy, almost wet-look surface. Some options:

https://www.metalandpaper.photo/paper (https://www.metalandpaper.photo/paper) (formerly West Coast Imaging): Kodak Endura Glossy and Fuji Flex SuperGloss

https://www.meridianpro.com/content/print-sizes/ (https://www.meridianpro.com/content/print-sizes/) (an affiliate of Dwayne's): Kodak Endura Premier Glossy

https://www.bayphoto.com/prints/photographic-prints/ (https://www.bayphoto.com/prints/photographic-prints/) : Kodak Endura Glossy “F”, Fujiflex Crystal Archive (a/k/a SuperGloss), Fuji Crystal Archive Maxima Glossy

https://www.aspencreekphoto.com/prints (https://www.aspencreekphoto.com/prints) : Kodak Endura gloss, FujiFlex SuperGloss
Title: Re: Labs that print glossy paper
Post by: VincentDJohnson on December 30, 2019, 05:59:02 pm
Thanks for this. I was just going back over my forum posts and noticed I never dropped a thank you.