Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Paulo Bizarro on October 23, 2019, 04:14:07 am

Title: Amalia Rodrigues in Odemira
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 23, 2019, 04:14:07 am
I recently participated in an event that was part of a larger programme that celebrates the 100th anniversary of the famous Portuguese Fado singer. She died 20 years ago. Not many people know that she had a holiday house in the Alentejo coast, in the small village of Brejao, Odemira.

The event was an "open day" for the public to visit her house, which is located close to a beautiful small beach - no wonder she chose the place. The day ended with an open air Mass that was graced with the performance of the Fado singer Ana Valadas. I wrote a small article in my blog:

http://blog.paulobizarro.com/?p=901

Regards.
Title: Re: Amalia Rodrigues in Odemira
Post by: francois on October 23, 2019, 05:08:38 am
Interesting article. With the initial description, I imagined that it was more like a shack… but it's a very nice "refuge"!
I also like your coastal shot, very quiet and relaxing.
Title: Re: Amalia Rodrigues in Odemira
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 23, 2019, 07:06:56 am
What is interesting is that she chose that place in the 1960's. From personal experience, I know that area of the country only got electricity around 1980, for example. If it is a quiet region today, imagine 50 years ago...
Title: Re: Amalia Rodrigues in Odemira
Post by: rabanito on October 23, 2019, 01:04:36 pm
Thank you Paulo.
Amalia and Cesaria Evora are two of my favorite portuguese voices.
Title: Re: Amalia Rodrigues in Odemira
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on October 23, 2019, 04:21:45 pm
Marvelous post, Paulo. I have her "Nem às Paredes Confesso" fado in my music library.

Title: Re: Amalia Rodrigues in Odemira
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 24, 2019, 04:40:55 am
Thanks all. Indeed she was one of the greatest.
Title: Re: Amalia Rodrigues in Odemira
Post by: Arlen on October 26, 2019, 06:43:18 pm
Excellent photos, Paulo, and an interesting a well written story.