Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Arlen on October 03, 2019, 06:16:14 pm

Title: North Umpqua
Post by: Arlen on October 03, 2019, 06:16:14 pm
One of Oregon's (or anyplace's) most beautiful and storied rivers, home to large steelhead trout and made famous by Zane Grey. All-day rain had just turned into a furious early hail storm, then I had to wait for the residual rain to stop before getting out the camera for this shot.
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: Colorado_CJ on October 03, 2019, 07:56:52 pm
Nice photo!

Curious, what Zane Grey book was this in?  I would like to read it as I've read a few of his other books.
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 04, 2019, 03:49:11 am
Really nice, especially the natural colours.
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: francois on October 04, 2019, 04:44:39 am
Looks cold and humid but what a beautiful place!
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: stamper on October 04, 2019, 08:19:31 am
I like!
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: Bob_B on October 04, 2019, 08:33:22 am
Me too! I bet the trout are just waiting to take a fly.
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: Arlen on October 05, 2019, 01:26:50 pm
Thanks to all of you for your generous comments.

Curious, what Zane Grey book was this in?  I would like to read it as I've read a few of his other books.

I'm not sure which of Zane Grey's books included material about the North Umpqua, but he famously established a seasonal fishing camp there and publicized the river's charms. You can see a brief description of his Oregon activities here:  https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/zane_grey_1872_1939_/
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on October 06, 2019, 06:16:37 am
Really nice scene here Arlen, I like it as it is, but wonder if a little more sky would have helped or detracted? But as I say, I like it 'as is' but being the pedant that I am, I also had to throw that idea into the mix didn't I?

Excellent

Dave
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on October 06, 2019, 02:15:46 pm
 Very well done Arlen, such soft light!!
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: John R on October 07, 2019, 10:20:31 am
Lovely. I like how you rendered the water natural looking with its texture intact. Not easy when you have a mass of white area.

JR
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: Arlen on October 07, 2019, 04:01:26 pm
Thanks Dave, Kevin and John.

Dave, I take your point about the sky. I actually took several shots of the scene, some of which did include more of the sky. However, I could not back up from where I was standing in the water, as there was a deep hole right behind me, so including more sky necessarily meant excluding some foreground. The foreground was a more major point of interest, so I went with that as the best shot of the lot.
Title: Re: North Umpqua
Post by: RBFritz on October 07, 2019, 09:51:02 pm
Very nice composition.