Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Robert-Peter Westphal on October 02, 2019, 04:30:49 pm
-
Hello,
has anyone of you tested the new firmware 3.01 ( which seems a big step from former 2.7 ) for the Canon pro-1000 or has any information what has been changed or added.
Best wishes Robert
-
The official changelog is so informative that we can forgive them the spelling error :)
[Ver.2.5]
- Verious new functions are supported.
-
I found the first new feature!
Increased length printing limit to 47,24 inches - 120 cm!!!!!!
-
Second new feature:
The number of paper media types which can be registered to the printer is increased from 25 to 35.
-
The official changelog is so informative that we can forgive them the spelling error :)
[Ver.2.5]
- Verious new functions are supported.
Is there a weblink for this? When I Google the new firmware 3.01, I cannot find anything. There is also nothing on the Canon Pro-1000 website that describes what's new. Glad to see that one can use larger sheets of paper as this now makes panos a real possibility.
-
Is there a weblink for this? When I Google the new firmware 3.01, I cannot find anything. There is also nothing on the Canon Pro-1000 website that describes what's new. Glad to see that one can use larger sheets of paper as this now makes panos a real possibility.
Alan,
here is the link:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers/professional-inkjet-printers/imageprograf-pro-1000?subtab=downloads-firmware (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers/professional-inkjet-printers/imageprograf-pro-1000?subtab=downloads-firmware)
"Select" the 2.5 firmware update and then go to "Driver/Software Details --> History (scroll down)".
-
Useful addons with print length and number of custom papers.
Also, new drivers are out.
-
Alan,
here is the link:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers/professional-inkjet-printers/imageprograf-pro-1000?subtab=downloads-firmware (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers/professional-inkjet-printers/imageprograf-pro-1000?subtab=downloads-firmware)
"Select" the 2.5 firmware update and then go to "Driver/Software Details --> History (scroll down)".
Thanks!!! Have you updated your printer???
-
Thanks!!! Have you updated your printer???
Yes. That is how I found the additions. I installed the firmware and the latest drivers v. 1.10.
There is also a new I think media/paper type. It's called "Photo Paper Pro Crystal Grade". Maybe there is an upcoming new Canon paper.
EDIT: and a "Baryta Photo Paper".
-
I normally use my printer via USB.
To update the firmware I enabled LAN and hooked it up, to update the firmware directly from the printer menu interface (no software used). That worked as I've tried before.
I disabled the LAN again after that.
Now I tried to print today (haven't tried since update), and the printer is no longer seen via USB connection. Have tried two Macs, no luck. Restart, reinstall of printer driver etc. It is not seen anymore by any computer connected to it via USB.
Can USB somewhere be disabled in the printer, that I'm not aware of?
Any ideas?
Edit: Works with LAN, but USB is dead. Can anyone confirm if their USB went dead as well after firmware update?
-
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/news/pro-1000-firmware-update/
The new baryta media type option sounds interesting. Requires new profiling it seems, but will give it a go. Anyone done experiments with this yet and noticed an improvement? Would be nice with more details on the change.
-
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/news/pro-1000-firmware-update/
The new baryta media type option sounds interesting. Requires new profiling it seems, but will give it a go. Anyone done experiments with this yet and noticed an improvement? Would be nice with more details on the change.
I tested the "Baryta" media setting against "Pro Platinum" media setting on Canson Baryta Photographique 310 in BW mode with CO overall. The "less bronzing" claim is valid. Noticeable less bronzing. I cannot tell about the deeper reds and greens. I will have to reprofile all the papers with the "Baryta" setting first which is something I cannot do right now.
-
I tested the "Baryta" media setting against "Pro Platinum" media setting on Canson Baryta Photographique 310 in BW mode with CO overall. The "less bronzing" claim is valid. Noticeable less bronzing. I cannot tell about the deeper reds and greens. I will have to reprofile all the papers with the "Baryta" setting first which is something I cannot do right now.
It would be nice if Canon would tell us whether the amount of ink or chroma (or both) is increased when using the new Baryta setting. The gloss paper I mostly print on is Moab Juniper Rag, a non-baryta paper so I don't think this new setting will have any advantage for me.
-
Good info!
I haven't upgraded yet so a perfect opportunity for an apples to apples test of Baryta paper. I have some lustre baryta and will test gamut changes as well as look for bronzing/gloss differential changes. Should be interesting.
-
I tested the "Baryta" media setting against "Pro Platinum" media setting on Canson Baryta Photographique 310 in BW mode with CO overall. The "less bronzing" claim is valid. Noticeable less bronzing. I cannot tell about the deeper reds and greens. I will have to reprofile all the papers with the "Baryta" setting first which is something I cannot do right now.
Does BW more work differently than regular color mode when printing BW images? I mean, does the printer/driver mix gray tones differently, like not using (or reducing) the amount of colored inks and staying with black and the two gray inks. Just wondering what advantage bw mode has.
-
Does BW more work differently than regular color mode when printing BW images? I mean, does the printer/driver mix gray tones differently, like not using (or reducing) the amount of colored inks and staying with black and the two gray inks. Just wondering what advantage bw mode has.
Yes, B&W uses significantly less CYM inks since color isn't required. With color printing a mix of CYM as well as black/gray inks are used so that colors can be smoothly transitioned. B&W prints have less variation as a result and, usually, better lifetime.
-
It would be nice if Canon would tell us whether the amount of ink or chroma (or both) is increased when using the new Baryta setting. The gloss paper I mostly print on is Moab Juniper Rag, a non-baryta paper so I don't think this new setting will have any advantage for me.
There is distinctly less gloss differential in the few areas it previously showed using Finestra Fine Art Natural 300gsm Bartya with the new Baryta setting. I haven't yet checked impact on gamut size. Waiting for it to dry.
There is a significant shift in colors between the Plat Pro setting and Baryta setting at "highest" with average dE76 diff of 4. Gamut is almost identical except for low L* violets where the Baryta shows a bit more saturation. Virtually identical gamut edges otherwise. Same Black point at 2.5. So you will need to profile the papers.
-
Does BW more work differently than regular color mode when printing BW images? I mean, does the printer/driver mix gray tones differently, like not using (or reducing) the amount of colored inks and staying with black and the two gray inks. Just wondering what advantage bw mode has.
Doug answered the question. I didn't know. I choose BW mode for the comparison because I didn't have an icc profile based on the Baryta media setting and because bronzing is better examined on a BW image.
-
Yes, B&W uses significantly less CYM inks since color isn't required. With color printing a mix of CYM as well as black/gray inks are used so that colors can be smoothly transitioned. B&W prints have less variation as a result and, usually, better lifetime.
I had some spare letter size Moab Somerset Museum Rag and printed one of my B/W images using the traditional color managed approach with LR using an ICC profile that has a 51 step B/W patch set and the Canon B/W setting. Visual examination of the prints showed no difference. It's likely that larger images may show differences and one would also need to print out B/W patch sets to see what the deviation is to confirm this. My only previous experience was with an Epson 3880 and it was clear from the work of others that less colored ink was used in the ABW mode of that printer. I did tests that showed a marginally better black point when using the ABW mode and generated profiles using Roy Harrington's tool that enabled me to print and soft proof in LR. The soft proof feature only works in Wnidows as Apple changed things about five years ago that eliminated that option in MacOS.
It's not clear to me that the approach I used with the Epson printer will work with the Pro-1000 and LR. Doug has another thread on a work around when printing from PS as well as an approach for creating B/W profiles.
In his printer reviews Mark Segal did some research on printing B/W images via both approaches on newer Epson printers and does not bother with the ABW mode as he saw no visual differences.
-
I had some spare letter size Moab Somerset Museum Rag and printed one of my B/W images using the traditional color managed approach with LR using an ICC profile that has a 51 step B/W patch set and the Canon B/W setting. Visual examination of the prints showed no difference. It's likely that larger images may show differences and one would also need to print out B/W patch sets to see what the deviation is to confirm this. My only previous experience was with an Epson 3880 and it was clear from the work of others that less colored ink was used in the ABW mode of that printer. I did tests that showed a marginally better black point when using the ABW mode and generated profiles using Roy Harrington's tool that enabled me to print and soft proof in LR. The soft proof feature only works in Wnidows as Apple changed things about five years ago that eliminated that option in MacOS.
It's not clear to me that the approach I used with the Epson printer will work with the Pro-1000 and LR. Doug has another thread on a work around when printing from PS as well as an approach for creating B/W profiles.
In his printer reviews Mark Segal did some research on printing B/W images via both approaches on newer Epson printers and does not bother with the ABW mode as he saw no visual differences.
I agree with Mark Segal too. While there are more variations in color mode than B&W mode, they are well under visual threshold with the possible exception of large prints that also have large, very dark, areas. You can see differences between, say L*2.5 and 3.0 with enough light. This is because even though only a tiny fraction of light is reflected, the L*=3 reflects 20% more light than the L*2.5. But to see it you would have to provide enough illumination and block out any specular reflections from the gloss. This can be fun to do with a bright flashlight carefully positioned but it's rarely an issue normally.
That said, B&W mode should provide somewhat longer print life but these days that's not much of an issue either with color pigment printing typically having decent life.
-
I received a PM from another LuLa member about the new Firmware update as he could not see the extended paper length in the print settings. I just checked and I cannot see this either, it still says 25 inches in the custom settings box. I also do not see a media setting for Baryta either. I checked on the printer for the firmware version and it says 3.01. I'm wondering if there is a print driver that did not install. I downloaded the firmware file: fuu_-win-pro_1000-2_5-ea7.exe
I see a new 'optional' print driver on the support site: imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 series XPS Printer Driver Ver.6.60 (Windows)
Does this also need to be installed????
-
I received a PM from another LuLa member about the new Firmware update as he could not see the extended paper length in the print settings. I just checked and I cannot see this either, it still says 25 inches in the custom settings box. I also do not see a media setting for Baryta either. I checked on the printer for the firmware version and it says 3.01. I'm wondering if there is a print driver that did not install. I downloaded the firmware file: fuu_-win-pro_1000-2_5-ea7.exe
I see a new 'optional' print driver on the support site: imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 series XPS Printer Driver Ver.6.60 (Windows)
Does this also need to be installed????
Try to uninstall the previous driver and install the latest which is version 1.10 released on 10/1/19.
In my case that installed the latest media types. But I had access in the extended print length even with the previous driver.
-
Try to uninstall the previous driver and install the latest which is version 1.10 released on 10/1/19.
In my case that installed the latest media types. But I had access in the extended print length even with the previous driver.
Thanks. It installed fine using the remove old driver option in the dialogue box. Both the new paper length and the Baryta setting now show up. Canon don't make things as easy as Epson did with my old 3880.
Alan
-
That said, B&W mode should provide somewhat longer print life but these days that's not much of an issue either with color pigment printing typically having decent life.
Print life is likely to be longer than display life. I have several offices with print installations and am under no illusion that these will still be on display in the next 10 or so years.
-
Print life is likely to be longer than display life. I have several offices with print installations and am under no illusion that these will still be on display in the next 10 or so years.
Agreed, and I think it is trend as well. The value of long lived prints was much more important before the digital age as it is quite easy to create originals with the same colors as the original. And there is also the trend towards images that will only be shown on devices.
I don't think it will be long, under a decade, before we have very thin display only devices that can be hung like prints with images than can be changed at whim with phone apps.
-
... The value of long lived prints was much more important before the digital age as it is quite easy to create originals with the same colors as the original. And there is also the trend towards images that will only be shown on devices.
Newer copies may indeed match a vintage print for color and tone, even correct for some perceived deficiencies in the original print, but they will still be derivative copies, not the vintage print. Art collectors, curators, historians, archivists, etc., understand the difference even if the general public doesn't give a damn.
-
Newer copies may indeed match a vintage print for color and tone, even correct for some perceived deficiencies in the original print, but they will still be derivative copies, not the vintage print. Art collectors, curators, historians, archivists, etc., understand the difference even if the general public doesn't give a damn.
And they will be around a lot longer than CDs or DVDs. Newer tech tends to have shorter lifetimes than older tech but the trend is there for everyone even if at different rates.
Such is life. I miss a lot of older stuff but people much younger than me just shrug.
Young people today will see accelerated change and it will impact them even more. They just don't know it. Yet.
-
There is distinctly less gloss differential in the few areas it previously showed using Finestra Fine Art Natural 300gsm Bartya with the new Baryta setting. I haven't yet checked impact on gamut size. Waiting for it to dry.
There is a significant shift in colors between the Plat Pro setting and Baryta setting at "highest" with average dE76 diff of 4. Gamut is almost identical except for low L* violets where the Baryta shows a bit more saturation. Virtually identical gamut edges otherwise. Same Black point at 2.5. So you will need to profile the papers.
I notice that the Paper Thickness (head height) for the new paper is set to Medium-high in Media Configuration Tool, where Pro Platinum is set to Low. I haven't played with it yet (this specific paper type), but have on other tests noticed that a low head height expectedly produced sharper prints, as the ink droplets don't get dragged as long along the paper before settling in.
Is CO behaviour the same on the Baryta paper as with Pro Platinum (applied from low to highs)? Does it work in auto CO from low to highs when used as base for custom media types (in case I need that for low head height and other tweaks)? I've had issues before with custom media types, that CO wouldn't get applied from lows to highs (as with Pro Platinum) when making PBK custom media with Light or Heavy weight base choices. Hope Baryta option fixes that.
I'll report my own findings once I get there.
-
I notice that the Paper Thickness (head height) for the new paper is set to Medium-high in Media Configuration Tool, where Pro Platinum is set to Low. I haven't played with it yet (this specific paper type), but have on other tests noticed that a low head height expectedly produced sharper prints, as the ink droplets don't get dragged as long along the paper before settling in.
Is CO behaviour the same on the Baryta paper as with Pro Platinum (applied from low to highs)? Does it work in auto CO from low to highs when used as base for custom media types (in case I need that for low head height and other tweaks)? I've had issues before with custom media types, that CO wouldn't get applied from lows to highs (as with Pro Platinum) when making PBK custom media with Light or Heavy weight base choices. Hope Baryta option fixes that.
I'll report my own findings once I get there.
Good information. My go to baryta paper, Moab Juniper Baryta, is on back order right now and I won't be able to test the new setting until I get a box and can re-profile.
-
Anybody know if a similar Baryta mode is coming to the larger format models? I downloaded newly-released versions of the Media Configuration Tool and updated the Media Information File but didn't see anything about Baryta papers. I suspect those updates are just to support the new hardware revisions and the latest Mac OS.
-
A few observations on the Baryta paper type.
Difference between Pro Platinum and Baryta is rather significant, as reported earlier. On a 512 patch test, I get this:
de2k
Verify results:
Total errors (CIEDE2000): peak = 9.217798, avg = 3.392068
Worst 10% errors (CIEDE2000): peak = 9.217798, avg = 6.850318
Best 90% errors (CIEDE2000): peak = 6.040733, avg = 3.009485
avg err X 0.021547, Y 0.024246, Z 0.021860
avg err L* 3.403466, a* 1.757760, b* 2.043125
de76
Verify results:
Total errors: peak = 12.742354, avg = 4.896999
Worst 10% errors: peak = 12.742354, avg = 9.243197
Best 90% errors: peak = 7.915209, avg = 4.416183
avg err X 0.021547, Y 0.024246, Z 0.021860
avg err L* 3.403466, a* 1.757760, b* 2.043125
Matching the around 4 dE average reported. I can add that Baryta generally prints darker throughout the gamut. So yes, reprofiling needed.
As a base for custom media type, I can confirm that quality Highest now maps to quality 2 (as seen by Accounting Manager). Previously with other PBK based media, Highest mapped to 3, and 2 only achieved by choosing custom quality and dragging slider to the end. Seems like a bugfix.
Running a Baryta based custom media type on low head height, I got what looks like some kind of rubbing across the print (mild head strike likely) over some millimeters around 2 cm before paper end (A4). Platinum Pro defaults to low head height. I might need to increase to Standard head height, and/or level the paper so it doesn't dip down close to being done printing (I tried but seemed still an issue).
Sepia toned prints still have a lot of gloss diff / bronzing. Can look very yellow at odd angles. And yes, to me odd angles matter, when handling/passing prints around on a table, when people approach an image from the side (framed on wall) etc. Even if viewer is aware of optimal viewing angle, you cannot control an unattractive odd angle view while viewer/paper is "in transit".
Ink usage seem to be higher on Baryta.
-
Anybody know if a similar Baryta mode is coming to the larger format models? I downloaded newly-released versions of the Media Configuration Tool and updated the Media Information File but didn't see anything about Baryta papers. I suspect those updates are just to support the new hardware revisions and the latest Mac OS.
The Baryta media type is present in the PRO-4100 driver. So I expect it to be available soon for the PRO-4000 also.
-
The Baryta media type is present in the PRO-4100 driver. So I expect it to be available soon for the PRO-4000 also.
Would it be possible for you to export the media type for it and attach it to this thread? I've upgraded to the 10/23/19 driver release and updated my media information and am not seeing it. Thanks, Ryan
-
Would it be possible for you to export the media type for it and attach it to this thread? I've upgraded to the 10/23/19 driver release and updated my media information and am not seeing it. Thanks, Ryan
Unfortunately I don't have a 4100, I just downloaded and installed the driver to check the differences to the 4000's driver. I noticed then that there is a Baryta media type present. Since the head and inks are the same maybe we will see it in the 4000 sometime in the future. But maybe a firmware update is needed also.
EDIT: As a second thought I believe that is impossible to import an amx1 media setting file to a different printer model.
-
Unfortunately I don't have a 4100, I just downloaded and installed the driver to check the differences to the 4000's driver. I noticed then that there is a Baryta media type present. Since the head and inks are the same maybe we will see it in the 4000 sometime in the future. But maybe a firmware update is needed also.
In the case of the Pro-1000 you had to install both the firmware and the new driver to get the Baryta setting. Firmware alone doesn't do it as I found out.
-
I just went through the Firmware, MCTool and Driver install after checking with Cannon and made a video of it as I keep getting questions from folks about it on my Youtube channel even though I put most of it on the initial setup of the Pro 1000 video. I can see where this would be a little confusing for some people regarding updates and checking the media types especially if they are not printing regularly. I did not have any problems. I'm on a PC and an ethernet connection. May help some people.
https://youtu.be/ShhdAcvP7FE
all the best,
Rusty