Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Rob C on September 18, 2019, 11:10:24 am

Title: On the Waterfront
Post by: Rob C on September 18, 2019, 11:10:24 am
What a mess we weave:
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 18, 2019, 11:33:05 am
Nice, (almost) abstract b&w graphic. With a touch of green ;)
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: David Eckels on September 18, 2019, 11:46:03 am
Brilliant, Rob! I have been looking at this image for the last fifteen minutes trying to say something intelligent, but find that words are superfluous. The central subject, the leading lines (black and white) swirling around it, the sinister black ground on which the subject rests... and I have to say your title(s) is(are) perfect. A great concept photo, even if it is a little green.

PS so if words are superfluous, why did I even comment? ;)
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Rob C on September 19, 2019, 05:17:11 pm
That's odd; I see no green. Perhaps, if there is some, it's the result of the Hoya bionic aids in my eyes having a taste for very light magenta. Alternatively, you guys need to have your eyes checked too.

Where, in the image, does the colour offend your eyes? I have a further appointment due soon with the surgeon who gave me the Hoyas; it would be worth raising it with him by taking along my iPad to show the snap.

Rob
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 19, 2019, 06:22:22 pm
That's odd; I see no green. Perhaps, if there is some, it's the result of the Hoya bionic aids in my eyes having a taste for very light magenta. Alternatively, you guys need to have your eyes checked too.

Where, in the image, does the colour offend your eyes? I have a further appointment due soon with the surgeon who gave me the Hoyas; it would be worth raising it with him by taking along my iPad to show the snap.

Rob

Rob, I am sometimes lost in your sarcasm. Was it, even?

Green I was referring to was a synonym for "environmentally-friendly consciousness," as your shot seems to imply the damage to the environment by plastic bottles in the ocean. As in "Green New Deal," or Green political parties.
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: David Eckels on September 19, 2019, 06:43:11 pm
Slobodan, I can't believe we pulled one over on Rob! ;)
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 19, 2019, 07:51:36 pm
Slobodan, I can't believe we pulled one over on Rob! ;)

;)

Since Rob seems very disappointed in the Margaret Thatcher's party, maybe time for a new one:
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Rob C on September 20, 2019, 03:34:49 am
Slobodan, I can't believe we pulled one over on Rob! ;)

It's the aftermath of the cataract ops: they removed my force shields too - just like Samson's hair.

On the other score, yes, you are quite correct: but with a capital G. I don't think of them as a political party, but certainly as a general force for survival.

;-)
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Rob C on September 20, 2019, 03:42:47 am
Rob, I am sometimes lost in your sarcasm. Was it, even?

Green I was referring to was a synonym for "environmentally-friendly consciousness," as your shot seems to imply the damage to the environment by plastic bottles in the ocean. As in "Green New Deal," or Green political parties.

You're right: far too cryptic for my head!

Yes, it was an immediately obvious visual refernce to the mess we create with our junk - struck me right away, which was why I snapped it. Of course, nature does her bit too: during the season when the pines - of which we have many - shed their yellow pollen, apart from making life a sticky yellow mess, the stuff drifts down to the harbour and settles on the still water of the protected parts like a yellow/green scum. It looks disgusting. The worst bit is trying to get it off the windscreen without having to wash the entire car.

Rob
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 20, 2019, 04:49:52 pm
Another great shot, Rob.
And I continue to be jealous of your ability to come up with catchy but meaningful titles.
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Rob C on September 21, 2019, 03:47:33 am
Another great shot, Rob.
And I continue to be jealous of your ability to come up with catchy but meaningful titles.

Thanks, Eric, on both counts!

;-)
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Ivo_B on September 21, 2019, 11:50:51 am
Professional work, as usual. Nice.
Title: Re: On the Waterfront
Post by: Rob C on September 21, 2019, 02:37:14 pm
Professional work, as usual. Nice.

Merci!