Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: alifatemi on September 13, 2019, 05:58:42 am

Title: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: alifatemi on September 13, 2019, 05:58:42 am
Hi. I need to purchase a professional scanner for negative and slides for my printing studio. Regardless of the size of scanner, A4 or A3, considering just quality of scan, is there any deference  between 850Pro and 12000XL Photo scanner? Any first hand experience please?
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: saiguy on September 13, 2019, 08:20:57 am
I have the 11000XL Photo and like it very much. One advantage is the Auto Focus, and Pick Focus place. The big disadvantage is no Inferred Channel.
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: alifatemi on September 13, 2019, 09:11:11 am
I have the 11000XL Photo and like it very much. One advantage is the Auto Focus, and Pick Focus place. The big disadvantage is no Inferred Channel.

Thanks, what is Inferred Channel?
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: Doug Fisher on September 13, 2019, 11:27:25 am
It is the channel used for infrared connection.  ICE and FARE are the trademark/brand names.  Search Google for lots of information about this.

The optics on the 12000XL are superior (hence the much higher price) so the initial scans are often going to be sharper.   With good post processing skills the advantage over the V8xx is negated to some degree.

Doug
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: saiguy on September 14, 2019, 11:16:59 am
Infrared Channel. The scanner needs to have the hardware for this. V850 has it, 12000 does not. It recognizes anything that is denser than film, like dust, and can eliminate it like a big spot healing brush.

The V850 comes bundled with SilverFast SE scanning software. You will have to upgrade to the SF8 Ai software to take best advantage of the IR feature, and have the best scanning software.

The 12000 comes with SF8 Ai. I think it is expensive because it is large format, high quality, and has a smaller pool of buyers.
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: alifatemi on September 18, 2019, 09:43:47 am
Unfortunately I can't download 89 pages of Mark Segal review of 850 pro printer duo to receiving DNS error otherwise it could help me a lot.
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: degrub on September 18, 2019, 09:47:57 am
What link are you using ?
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: alifatemi on September 18, 2019, 02:16:25 pm
What link are you using ?

At the end of this article, there is a link for full review but I can't open it:

https://luminous-landscape.com/epson-v850-pro-scanner-context/
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: degrub on September 19, 2019, 12:54:36 am
I have the same issue. I sent a pm to Mark to see what can be done.
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: Daverich on September 19, 2019, 07:49:49 am
At the end of this article, there is a link for full review but I can't open it:

https://luminous-landscape.com/epson-v850-pro-scanner-context/

It works for me.
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: degrub on September 19, 2019, 07:33:51 pm
here is what i get when clicking on the link in the article -
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: PatCastaldo on September 19, 2019, 07:37:47 pm
Didn't work for me, so I updated the https://lula.wpengine.com/
portion of the URL to

https://luminous-landscape.com/

and it worked

(not posting the link here fully, because I don't think I'm suppose to? )
Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: Daverich on September 20, 2019, 11:40:30 am
here is what i get when clicking on the link in the article -

Not sure what's going on but this is what I get...

Title: Re: epson 850 pro scanner vs 1200XL
Post by: degrub on September 21, 2019, 11:09:45 am
near the end of the page is the lnk to the full 89 page pdf. That is the one with the issue.