Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Arlen on September 08, 2019, 10:44:02 pm

Title: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: Arlen on September 08, 2019, 10:44:02 pm
Or maybe borrow a term from the old soap opera, The Edge of Night?


   (https://pbase.com/art1/image/169741880/original.jpg)


Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: degrub on September 08, 2019, 11:07:37 pm
I like.
Mt. Hood ?
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: francois on September 09, 2019, 05:51:54 am
I love the shape of the clouds!
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 09, 2019, 06:10:37 am
Nice one.
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: Arlen on September 10, 2019, 12:51:48 pm
Thanks for your comments, gentlemen.
This is Mt. Jefferson, about 60 miles south of Mt. Hood. Clouds like this show up occasionally here when the wind is right. Always eye-catching.
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: John R on September 10, 2019, 02:20:03 pm
Kind of surreal. Like block prints. I think this would be just as nice without the tree line.

JR
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: Arlen on September 10, 2019, 02:45:56 pm
Thanks, John. I agree that it might be as good or better without the tree line, but the curve of the low hills just behind them is important to preserve. Achievable with some careful cloning work, I suppose.
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: NancyP on September 10, 2019, 04:32:06 pm
I like the trees, they ground the photo. The overall effect of the photo is of an old-fashioned (circa 1930s - 1940s) litho poster rendered in B and W. Very nice capture and processing. Did you de-dehaze (re-haze??) or de-clarity (or equivalent in non-Lightroom terms) to get that smooth flat look?
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 11, 2019, 11:26:09 am
...The overall effect of the photo is of an old-fashioned (circa 1930s - 1940s) litho poster rendered in B and W...

Yes, the distant mountain looks like brushwork. Cool.
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: Arlen on September 11, 2019, 01:25:38 pm
Thank you, Nancy and Scott. The smooth clouds and the distance--the mountain was 40 miles away--yielded an image that naturally lent itself to this kind of look. Initial processing was pretty standard through Lightroom, and then I modestly de-emphasized some of the smaller details in Topaz Studio. In essence, simplifying it so the focus was more on major lines and tones.
Title: Re: Twixt Twilight and Tonight
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on September 13, 2019, 06:01:18 am
Thats lovely. Great image in my opinion.