Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on September 08, 2019, 12:26:46 am

Title: Elemental
Post by: MattBurt on September 08, 2019, 12:26:46 am
Great storm watching at North Clear Creek Falls today. I was just going to scout some locations but wound up shooting this storm that blew in pretty quickly. Very impressive! A little scary too. I hid out in the car for some of this while the trigger did the work but had to run out and save the camera when the hail started coming down.

This one is a stack of six images that cover a span of about four minutes. Stacked in Affinity Photo.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48696884101_00f9cca737_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2hcbg52)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48696543093_f26510d45e_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2hc9vGz)
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on September 08, 2019, 02:19:12 am
Landscape action photos. Impressive.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: RSL on September 08, 2019, 07:25:31 am
Grand work, Matt.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: Bob_B on September 08, 2019, 07:26:11 am
Yes indeed.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 08, 2019, 08:25:36 am
Very impressive.
I'm glad you and the camera survived.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: stamper on September 08, 2019, 10:13:14 am
Very likeable.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: francois on September 08, 2019, 10:39:39 am
Simply excellent shots!
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: MattBurt on September 08, 2019, 02:38:23 pm
Thanks! This was a case of "Luck favors the well-prepared". I got a new pack recently to have a little more room to always have things like my Pluto Trigger with me. I wasn't expecting severe weather but was prepared for the lightning with the trigger. Daytime lightning is otherwise much harder to catch! Good thing for weather sealed cameras and lenses too.  8)
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: armand on September 08, 2019, 04:00:03 pm
Thanks! This was a case of "Luck favors the well-prepared". I got a new pack recently to have a little more room to always have things like my Pluto Trigger with me. I wasn't expecting severe weather but was prepared for the lightning with the trigger. Daytime lightning is otherwise much harder to catch! Good thing for weather sealed cameras and lenses too.  8)

I was wondering if you used a lightning trigger; sounds tempting if you live in your area, I see in summer time you get more than a fair share of heavy storms.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 09, 2019, 05:27:34 am
Talk about drama, great shots.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 09, 2019, 05:12:19 pm
Excellent shots.

You know I once heard on a science show on TV many, many years ago, that lightening actually strikes up and not down, which I then made the mistake of sharing with my mates in the pub after we were about six pints into the evening - cue ridicule and laughter for about the next decade... :-[

But what do you know, I was correct all along and here is the proof written for all to see in the following paragraph taken from this government website: Lightening stikes up (https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/lightning/faq/), you need to scroll down a bit to find this paragraph though.

Does lightning strike from the sky down, or the ground up?
The answer is both. Cloud-to-ground lightning comes from the sky down, but the part you see comes from the ground up. A typical cloud-to-ground flash lowers a path of negative electricity (that we cannot see) towards the ground in a series of spurts. Objects on the ground generally have a positive charge. Since opposites attract, an upward streamer is sent out from the object about to be struck. When these two paths meet, a return stroke zips back up to the sky. It is the return stroke that produces the visible flash, but it all happens so fast - in about one-millionth of a second - so the human eye doesn't see the actual formation of the stroke.

Dave
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: brandtb on September 09, 2019, 09:44:20 pm
Nice shots
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: MattBurt on September 10, 2019, 09:22:15 am


Excellent shots.

You know I once heard on a science show on TV many, many years ago, that lightening actually strikes up and not down, which I then made the mistake of sharing with my mates in the pub after we were about six pints into the evening - cue ridicule and laughter for about the next decade... :-[

But what do you know, I was correct all along and here is the proof written for all to see in the following paragraph taken from this government website: Lightening stikes up (https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/lightning/faq/), you need to scroll down a bit to find this paragraph though.

Does lightning strike from the sky down, or the ground up?
The answer is both. Cloud-to-ground lightning comes from the sky down, but the part you see comes from the ground up. A typical cloud-to-ground flash lowers a path of negative electricity (that we cannot see) towards the ground in a series of spurts. Objects on the ground generally have a positive charge. Since opposites attract, an upward streamer is sent out from the object about to be struck. When these two paths meet, a return stroke zips back up to the sky. It is the return stroke that produces the visible flash, but it all happens so fast - in about one-millionth of a second - so the human eye doesn't see the actual formation of the stroke.

Dave

Thanks Dave and yes, I actually did know that. I've been fascinated by lightning since I was a kid and loved the NG documentary where the researcher would shoot model rockets with small wires attached into clouds to trigger and aim it. Interesting stuff!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I appreciate it.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: NancyP on September 10, 2019, 04:26:50 pm
First rate!
And I am glad you and camera survived the onslaught. Chance favors the prepared - and brave - photographer.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: maddogmurph on September 11, 2019, 01:48:26 am
This was shot with a lightning trigger?

Nice work matt
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: MattBurt on September 11, 2019, 11:03:56 am
This was shot with a lightning trigger?

Nice work matt

Thanks and yes. I've had a few triggers over the years and currently have my favorite so far, the Pluto Trigger. Not just for lightning but that is all I have used it for so far. It can also do sound triggering and laser "electric eye" types of triggering too. Highly recommended.
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: kers on September 11, 2019, 04:51:39 pm
Beautiful photos, and congratulations, but in my opinion too light.
Making them darker makes them better i think, more dramatic...
(Sorry in advance if you think i destroyed your photo...)
Title: Re: Elemental
Post by: MattBurt on September 16, 2019, 12:04:41 am
I like darker but I was being more true to the daylight scene. Although I don't suppose I have to. I may play with it a little.