Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on September 01, 2019, 12:18:36 pm

Title: Window
Post by: RSL on September 01, 2019, 12:18:36 pm
.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: degrub on September 01, 2019, 06:34:55 pm
...into the soul...
Title: Re: Window
Post by: John R on September 01, 2019, 07:13:23 pm
...into the soul...
It certainly draws you in.

JR
Title: Re: Window
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 01, 2019, 07:23:54 pm
Good one.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: churly on September 02, 2019, 09:36:45 am
Yes nice shot.  Lots of items of individual interest that come together in a nice whole.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: RSL on September 02, 2019, 11:16:30 am
Thanks all. I shot that grab 12 years ago with an Epson R-D1. The R-D1 was a digital split-image rangefinder with the lever normally found on a film camera that cocked the shutter. I loved that camera, but eventually sold it and “upgraded” to Nikon DSLRs. It was a lot like my long-owned and long loved Leicas.

I wonder what would happen if a manufacturer came out with a small, black, digital still camera, one designed for still photography, with all the sensor and mechanical improvements we’ve seen in the last 12 years, but without the useless “movie” feature (if you want to make movies, buy a movie camera), and without the rest of the crap “features” like in-camera HDR, etc., etc., etc. I’d rush to buy it. But looking at the kind of gadgetry that seems to get a hold on buyers, maybe it’d flop. Would be interesting, though.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: armand on September 04, 2019, 12:48:21 am
Thanks all. I shot that grab 12 years ago with an Epson R-D1. The R-D1 was a digital split-image rangefinder with the lever normally found on a film camera that cocked the shutter. I loved that camera, but eventually sold it and “upgraded” to Nikon DSLRs. It was a lot like my long-owned and long loved Leicas.

I wonder what would happen if a manufacturer came out with a small, black, digital still camera, one designed for still photography, with all the sensor and mechanical improvements we’ve seen in the last 12 years, but without the useless “movie” feature (if you want to make movies, buy a movie camera), and without the rest of the crap “features” like in-camera HDR, etc., etc., etc. I’d rush to buy it. But looking at the kind of gadgetry that seems to get a hold on buyers, maybe it’d flop. Would be interesting, though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013090-REG/nikon_1525_df_dslr_camera_black.html
Title: Re: Window
Post by: RSL on September 04, 2019, 02:54:13 pm
Hi, Armand. Only problem with that is it’s a DSLR, so it has a noisy mirror banging up and down. The first Leica-like camera I bought was a Canon 7, which was a direct Leica knockoff. Only problem was that it had a titanium shutter, which also made a certain amount of noise. Unless you do street photography you’d probably never notice the noise, but if you work in a quiet restaurant, or a church, or during a wedding ceremony, you’ll notice it right away. I sold the Canon 7 and bought a Leica M2, then an older IIIf, then an M4. With their cloth shutters they filled the bill. Now, my favorite camera is my Olympus Pen-F, which is very quiet. It’s only problem is the unnecessary gadgetry built into it. I work around that crap, but it would be easier if I didn’t have to. Of course, I still use my Nikon DSLRs when I’m not doing street.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: MattBurt on September 04, 2019, 04:48:49 pm
Maybe go back to Leica for an M10 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1430188-REG/leica_20021_m10_p_digital_rangefinder_camera.html)?
Especially if you still have any old M glass and/or a big pile of cash.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: RSL on September 05, 2019, 06:03:19 am
Naaah. The M4 was a working camera. The stuff they're selling nowadays is jewelry.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on September 05, 2019, 07:07:58 am
Hi, Armand. Only problem with that is it’s a DSLR, so it has a noisy mirror banging up and down. The first Leica-like camera I bought was a Canon 7, which was a direct Leica knockoff. Only problem was that it had a titanium shutter, which also made a certain amount of noise. Unless you do street photography you’d probably never notice the noise, but if you work in a quiet restaurant, or a church, or during a wedding ceremony, you’ll notice it right away. I sold the Canon 7 and bought a Leica M2, then an older IIIf, then an M4. With their cloth shutters they filled the bill. Now, my favorite camera is my Olympus Pen-F, which is very quiet. It’s only problem is the unnecessary gadgetry built into it. I work around that crap, but it would be easier if I didn’t have to. Of course, I still use my Nikon DSLRs when I’m not doing street.

I agree the  Pen F is a great street camera. How do you get on with Olympus menus?
Title: Re: Window
Post by: RSL on September 05, 2019, 08:30:07 am
I hate ‘em, Martin. It’s not that they’re badly designed, it’s that there’s a world of unnecessary crap in both the camera and the menus. Most of the time I have a 25mm (50mm equivalent) Leica DG Summilux on the camera. That gives me a frame I’m used to, so I don’t have to mess with zoom on those 2 second shots. I also use a Lumix 12 to 60mm zoom from time to time. I do wish the aperture showed on the camera without having to switch away from the EVF or raise the camera and look through the finder. Generally, the only control I want to mess with is aperture. Normally I let shutter speed and ISO float – though not always. Sometimes I bump the wrong button and have to sit down and figure out how to get away from the “features” suddenly appearing on the display. But, bottom line, it’s a fine street camera.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: petermfiore on September 05, 2019, 10:42:47 am
  Sometimes I bump the wrong button and have to sit down and figure out how to get away from the “features” suddenly appearing on the display.

The greatest fear of mine, on any digital camera...

Peter
Title: Re: Window
Post by: RSL on September 05, 2019, 11:54:34 am
There's another thing I"m reluctant to confess: In my Leica days I loved the split image rangefinder. It was very fast and very accurate. But the focusing systems on today's digital cameras can beat split image focusing in a walk. The Pen-F seems unusually fast -- even faster than my Nikon D-750. That's the main reason I don't seriously consider switching to one of the current Leicas. I think Leica lenses still are the best out there, and with some strain I could afford the Leica, but the Pen-F seems the better choice.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: degrub on September 05, 2019, 08:58:20 pm
The Pan-Leica 25 and 45 (4/3 D version ) are very good. If you can tolerate manual focus, you can use your -R or -M lenses on any Pen or micro 4/3 body.
Title: Re: Window
Post by: RSL on September 06, 2019, 09:24:44 am
The problem with manual focus is that you really need split-image in order to do it accurately.