Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: John Hollenberg on July 19, 2019, 02:02:55 pm

Title: Best Time Alaska for Day Hikes and Some Photography
Post by: John Hollenberg on July 19, 2019, 02:02:55 pm
I am planning a (first) trip in summer, 2020 to Alaska for 7-10 days, flying from Los Angeles to Anchorage.  We will have a total of 6 people going.  Most (including me) will be doing a lot of day hikes.  I hope to get some photography in as well.  One of our party has a strong aversion to mosquitoes and is sensitive to their bites.  I am trying to figure out the best time and place to go.  We don't want to do a ton of driving, prefer to be outdoors rather than driving around.  Possibilities include the Kenai peninsula or going up to Denali State Park and Denali National Park.  Based on what I have read so far I am leaning toward the period August 1-September 15, but need to narrow it down and decide where to go.  Any suggestions appreciated.
Title: Re: Best Time Alaska for Day Hikes and Some Photography
Post by: Alan Klein on July 19, 2019, 06:26:36 pm
Take bug spray and bear spray.
Title: Re: Best Time Alaska for Day Hikes and Some Photography
Post by: LesPalenik on July 19, 2019, 11:28:03 pm
You should be OK in that time frame, most mosquitos willl be gone at that time.


Title: Re: Best Time Alaska for Day Hikes and Some Photography
Post by: KenS on August 11, 2019, 12:07:11 pm
I've gone twice in mid-August and the mosquitoes were not really a problem. Besides Denali NP, consider driving (and camping) the circuit: Glenn Hwy, Talkeetna Mountains, Denali Hwy (found on a Mat-Su Valley Map). I took three back-country trips with Wrangle Mountain Air (https://www.wrangellmountainair.com/) each for 3-5 nights at Iceberg Lake, Granite Creek, Skolai.  They fly you in and drop you off.  Excellent.  Again, mosquitoes were much less a concern than bears... if you do that definitely bring bear spray and waterproof items, esp. your boots. [I spent several hours over a camp stove drying my friends socks over a camp stove; not fun!).  I also recommend K-2 aviation. 

You may want to check out my website: https://www.spark-of-light-photography.com/.  There are images from these trips in the Mountains Gallery accessible from my home page.
Ken