Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ivo_B on July 13, 2019, 03:57:45 pm

Title: Swider station
Post by: Ivo_B on July 13, 2019, 03:57:45 pm
My wife’s hometown, Poland.

2006 vs 2019. And soon the station will be gone.

Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: degrub on July 13, 2019, 07:25:35 pm
it is the phones that did it in.... :(
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on July 14, 2019, 03:49:05 am
Keep coming  back to look at these. I find them intriguing.

Amazing ride by De Gendt by the way. Ongelooflik we would say.
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Ivo_B on July 14, 2019, 04:29:58 am
Keep coming  back to look at these. I find them intriguing.

Amazing ride by De Gendt by the way. Ongelooflik we would say.

Yes, amazing drugs he is (maybe) using.  ::)
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: 32BT on July 14, 2019, 04:31:12 am
When was it build? Seems distinctly early Art Deco (1930-ish?) still showing natural shapes but with the industrial lettering. Unbelievably ugly, but with a strangely attractive undertone. Wabi-sabi in a sense?
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Ivo_B on July 14, 2019, 04:37:51 am
When was it build? Seems distinctly early Art Deco (1930-ish?) still showing natural shapes but with the industrial lettering. Unbelievably ugly, but with a strangely attractive undertone. Wabi-sabi in a sense?

Typical PRL style, socialism style of the fifties.  (Polish Peoples republic)
In 2006 the ticket booth was open, now it’s  closed, doors welded and full graffiti. When I ‘m back home, I ‘ll post some more ‘then vs now’
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: 32BT on July 14, 2019, 05:12:35 am
Early thirties, and apparently national heritage. But possibly not protected well enough... :-(

https://polishrail.wordpress.com/tag/swider/
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: kers on July 14, 2019, 06:55:30 am
Beautiful Architecture! Hope they have found some money to preserve it and give it a new purpose.

The more recent photo also shows ( i think) the problems of our time: too many advertisements and poles everywhere, making the space cluttered and ugly.
The station looked so nice and clean on the older photo.
I remember the difference in Prague just before the wall was torn down and some years later:
Everywhere arised big billboards with advertisements: beautiful wine palaces were taken over by McDonalds happy meals... the ugly side of unregulated  capitalism.

Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Ivo_B on July 14, 2019, 07:03:05 am
Early thirties, and apparently national heritage. But possibly not protected well enough... :-(

https://polishrail.wordpress.com/tag/swider/

Ha. Thanks to clarify. The locals (parents) didn’t remember. 😬 but I’m afraid the battle is lost for Swider station. Works are on going.
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Ivo_B on July 14, 2019, 09:39:35 am
Beautiful Architecture! Hope they have found some money to preserve it and give it a new purpose.

The more recent photo also shows ( i think) the problems of our time: too many advertisements and poles everywhere, making the space cluttered and ugly.
The station looked so nice and clean on the older photo.
I remember the difference in Prague just before the wall was torn down and some years later:
Everywhere arised big billboards with advertisements: beautiful wine palaces were taken over by McDonalds happy meals... the ugly side of unregulated  capitalism.

Very recognizable.

The rail station of Luik (Belgium), a masterpiece of Santiago Calastrava was shortly after delivery ‘decorated’ with a huge scaffold contraption serving as bike rental shed.
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Rob C on July 14, 2019, 10:54:54 am
As a tiny bit nostalgic by nature, I regret the passing of those old cafés with decorated mirrors and brass everywhere. Who would need to go looking for locations: they'd be right there! I think Barcelona still features things like that, but it's been years since I set foot there. Hell, it's been years since I even set foot in Palma! I blame those damned cars: I can't park anywhere. Democracy is a bad thing.

;-)
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Ivo_B on July 22, 2019, 05:14:58 pm
The ticket booth, 2011 vs 2019
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 22, 2019, 05:25:58 pm
I like the booth shot.
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 22, 2019, 07:06:26 pm
I like the booth shot.
Me too. A lot.
Title: Re: Swider station
Post by: RSL on July 22, 2019, 07:40:43 pm
+1