Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on July 11, 2019, 10:51:45 pm

Title: Lower Trackrock Gap Road, Blairsville, Georgia, 2019
Post by: Todd Suttles on July 11, 2019, 10:51:45 pm
Does this work? C&C requested
Title: Re: Lower Trackrock Gap Road, Blairsville, Georgia, 2019
Post by: degrub on July 11, 2019, 11:19:19 pm
What is the picture about ? What are you trying to convey?
Title: Re: Lower Trackrock Gap Road, Blairsville, Georgia, 2019
Post by: KMRennie on July 12, 2019, 07:20:22 am
Todd I will rephrase the earlier question. What was it about this scene that attracted your attention? I can't work it out. Next many of the clouds are very bright and mostly featureless and this just grabs my attention. Many of the shadows are blocked with no detail but don't add mood or mystery. It doesn't work for me and I am at a loss to say anything positive apart from using a soft/ medium ND grad may have allowed you to retain detail and texture in the sky and some detail in the shadows. Ken
Title: Re: Lower Trackrock Gap Road, Blairsville, Georgia, 2019
Post by: Todd Suttles on July 12, 2019, 09:45:21 pm
What I was trying to capture and express was the drama of the light, strong clouds and shadows, and the different shapes created by the different land textures. I appreciate your feedback because now I know that I am seeing what I remember in the photo rather than what is actually there. Thanks for your help. I suspect an ND filter would have helped too. It was too much to expect.  Thanks, -t  helpful!
Title: Re: Lower Trackrock Gap Road, Blairsville, Georgia, 2019
Post by: Peter McLennan on July 13, 2019, 05:53:35 pm
now I know that I am seeing what I remember in the photo rather than what is actually there.

Congratulations, Todd!  That is a HUGE step forward.
Title: Re: Lower Trackrock Gap Road, Blairsville, Georgia, 2019
Post by: Rob C on July 14, 2019, 11:29:40 am
Congratulations, Todd!  That is a HUGE step forward.

Which is not always the case: I find that quite often I will feel something, click it not knowing exactly what that something might be, but when I start to play with on the screen, it reveals itself.

Rob
Title: Re: Lower Trackrock Gap Road, Blairsville, Georgia, 2019
Post by: sdwilsonsct on July 14, 2019, 12:54:13 pm
What I was trying to capture and express was the drama of the light, strong clouds and shadows, and the different shapes created by the different land textures.

I like the S-curve leading to the background. I might have tried excluding the tree on the right, getting closer to the field, raising the camera to accentuate the S-curve, and ETTR to retain cloud structure. And taking a variety of frames to explore composition.
Title: Re: Lower Trackrock Gap Road, Blairsville, Georgia, 2019
Post by: Todd Suttles on July 14, 2019, 05:20:45 pm
Thanks everyone. A good learning experience. This location is close by so I will work with it again with these thoughts in mind. thank you again, -t