Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: petermfiore on July 02, 2019, 04:49:11 pm

Title: A Discovery
Post by: petermfiore on July 02, 2019, 04:49:11 pm
A Discovery...

Peter
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: Rob C on July 02, 2019, 05:05:09 pm
And that illustrates what is probably a common difference between photography and painting: would anyone makiing a painting cut a body like that and place it where you did?

To me, it shows that your artist is actually non-identical twins.

As a photographer, it is both accepted behaviour and highly effective. As a painter, would you ever think of  intentionally framing like that? You are a good person to ask, being pretty damned good at both disciplines. 

Rob
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: petermfiore on July 02, 2019, 05:15:14 pm
Rob,

Actually I have.
But it would have been in my illustration days. Story telling is the name of the game.

Here there is also a bit of a narrative.

There is much in painting, that this is not new.

Peter
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: elliot_n on July 02, 2019, 05:22:49 pm
As a painter, would you ever think of intentionally framing like that? You are a good person to ask, being pretty damned good at both disciplines. 

Ask Degas.
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: Rob C on July 02, 2019, 05:37:42 pm
Ask Degas.


I can't; he was a little before my time.

:-)
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: petermfiore on July 02, 2019, 05:45:54 pm
Ask Degas.

Elliot,

In art school school, Degas was a big influence on me. His "Looking through the keyhole", to observe life candidly.
This also made a big impression on my photography as well. That's why street is my idea of photography.

For me, the camera does people better than a brush. At least the stories I enjoy telling.

Painting is landscape for me. Total freedom, in where I place things and how. It's as close as I can be to abstraction without crossing the line.

Peter
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 02, 2019, 05:46:26 pm
Brilliant, Peter.
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: Rob C on July 02, 2019, 05:55:04 pm
Elliot,

In art school school, Degas was a big influence on me. His "Looking through the keyhole", to observe life candidly.
This also made a big impression on my photography as well. That's why street is my idea of photography.

For me, the camera does people better than a brush. At least the stories I enjoy telling.

Painting is landscape for me. Total freedom, in where I place things and how. It's as close as I can be to abstraction without crossing the line.

Peter


Maybe Vargas did women better with a brush?

;-)
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: petermfiore on July 02, 2019, 06:30:06 pm

Maybe Vargas did women better with a brush?

;-)

I haven’t seen his photos, so it could go either way.

Peter
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 02, 2019, 07:26:00 pm
I don't offhand recall Rembrandt doing one like this, but I like it a lot.
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: petermfiore on July 02, 2019, 07:52:16 pm
I don't offhand recall Rembrandt doing one like this, but I like it a lot.

No he didn't...But more then a couple of his paintings were cut down to fit newer surrounds over the years. So pieces of people in some cases have been removed.

Peter
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: RSL on July 02, 2019, 07:52:35 pm
I haven’t seen his photos, so it could go either way.

Peter

I think Rob's talking about the Vargas who did paintings of nudes, Peter.

And I guess you know I agree about street photography. There have been a few paintings that come close: Degas L'Absinthe, Picasso The Frugal Repast. But the camera is what captures the human interludes that are real street photography.
Title: Re: A Discovery
Post by: petermfiore on July 02, 2019, 08:00:58 pm
I think Rob's talking about the Vargas who did paintings of nudes, Peter.

And I guess you know I agree about street photography. There have been a few paintings that come close: Degas L'Absinthe, Picasso The Frugal Repast. But the camera is what captures the human interludes that are real street photography.

I know Vargas very well ...Because I haven't seen his photographs, if there are any, how can I judge if his brush is better? That's a bad joke I guess.

Peter