Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on July 02, 2019, 11:11:50 am

Title: Puddle hunting
Post by: MattBurt on July 02, 2019, 11:11:50 am
This high desert recreation area, Hartman Rocks is just a couple of miles from town and I spend a lot of time here.
Last night after just finishing some real estate work in town the heavens unleashed and we had a real gully washer of a storm.
I knew that would fill up some puddles out at Hartman's so I headed out once the sky was clearing and hiked to this area where I have a few favorite puddles. They weren't as full as they sometimes get but they were pretty good compared to my last visit. The sky was pretty nice and cooperative too.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176800222_9a3f0c5373_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2gpdGfA)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176800867_753d8e0371_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2gpdGrH)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176801417_6583fc1dc0_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2gpdGBc)

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176725121_1288f8cd8b_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2gpdiVK)
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: HSakols on July 02, 2019, 11:32:11 am
Nice planning!  I like the first one, but my eyes do like the deep reds in the last two.
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 02, 2019, 11:35:37 am
Nice puddles and a very cooperative sky.
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: stamper on July 02, 2019, 11:53:25 am
Definitely worth the hike. I like.
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: Cornfield on July 02, 2019, 01:24:10 pm
Really like these.  It's good to see images like these especially when they are not overdressed.
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: RSL on July 02, 2019, 01:35:06 pm
A very fine puddle collection, Matt.
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: MattBurt on July 02, 2019, 01:39:01 pm
Thanks for the comments! I'm pretty pleased with them too although I always find nits to pick but that is just how it goes.
I also find it can be a difficult balancing act to edit to bring out the best of a photo without overcooking it but that is generally my goal with my shots/edits.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should tell you the last three are HDRs made of two or three blended exposures. With the deep shadows and bright sky after the sun went down, I was clipping at both ends of the histogram so I decided to bracket and blend as necessary to ensure I got detail where I felt it was needed. I think that aspect worked out well here and the images do not scream "HDR!". :)
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 02, 2019, 04:04:08 pm
Those are the kind of HDR that I can really go for: Ones where you would never even think of HDR when looking at them.
I guess that amounts to using HDR as a tool rather than as a weapon!   ;)
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: MattBurt on July 02, 2019, 04:49:13 pm
Those are the kind of HDR that I can really go for: Ones where you would never even think of HDR when looking at them.
I guess that amounts to using HDR as a tool rather than as a weapon!   ;)

I come in peace!  ;D
Title: Re: Puddle hunting
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 03, 2019, 11:10:30 am
Excellent set.