Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: maddogmurph on June 30, 2019, 07:59:51 pm

Title: Spirit Falls
Post by: maddogmurph on June 30, 2019, 07:59:51 pm
I've put entirely too much time into this photo and I still don't love it. Maybe it's just not lovable...
Title: Re: Spirit Falls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 30, 2019, 08:28:36 pm
The weakness is in Nature's composition. Not much you could do to fix it.
Good try.
Title: Re: Spirit Falls
Post by: maddogmurph on July 01, 2019, 12:14:09 am
The weakness is in Nature's composition. Not much you could do to fix it.
Good try.
Unfortunately I could have. I should have added foreground like Ted Gore. But I didn't see his shot until later.
Title: Re: Spirit Falls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 01, 2019, 03:13:47 am
Unfortunately I could have. I should have added foreground like Ted Gore. But I didn't see his shot until later.

Looks a little cramped laterally, too. I'd guess the place is well worth revisiting, though.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Spirit Falls
Post by: francois on July 01, 2019, 04:48:00 am
I like it but it's a bit tight (as Jeremy wrote above).
Title: Re: Spirit Falls
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 01, 2019, 05:10:51 am
I like it. The fact that it is a bit tight adds to the claustrophobic feeling I get from looking at it. In fact, I would crop a bit on the bottom part, to enhance that effect.
Title: Re: Spirit Falls
Post by: luxborealis on July 01, 2019, 05:01:35 pm
I know exactly where you’re coming from, maddog, but don’t be too hard on yourself. To a landscape photographer, it’s pretty much standard fair, something we’ve all done and expect to capture perfectly, as you’ve done. But to a layperson, it’s dramatic and artful. It really is a gorgeous photo.

However, despite the curvaceous nature of the stream, it is a ‘straight’ photo. Beautiful, yes, but there’s no mystery to it. Unlike many of your other works, this one ‘explains everything’, meaning it doesn’t leave me pondering. Perhaps that’s why you like it but don’t love it.