Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on June 17, 2019, 05:50:36 pm

Title: Go Away!
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 17, 2019, 05:50:36 pm
Go Away! (https://blog.parrikar.com/2019/06/17/go-away/)

Title: Re: Go Away!
Post by: mbaginy on June 17, 2019, 05:56:02 pm
A nice shot.  I love the bird in the image (seagull?).
Title: Re: Go Away!
Post by: RSL on June 17, 2019, 07:44:32 pm
Good grab, Rajan. If that's an owl, get out of there.
Title: Re: Go Away!
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 18, 2019, 06:00:38 am
Mike and Russ -

Thanks. The shot was accidental. The bird is the Arctic Skua.
Title: Re: Go Away!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 18, 2019, 10:21:26 am
Arctic Skuas can be ferocious, especially in nesting season.
Locals told me to hold my hat up high with a stick when going close to a Skua's nest, because the Skua will attack the highest point of a suspected predator. I did get dive-bombed, but the "hat trick" worked.
Title: Re: Go Away!
Post by: 32BT on June 18, 2019, 12:28:59 pm
So, did the drone survive?
Title: Re: Go Away!
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 18, 2019, 12:42:41 pm
Arctic Skuas can be ferocious, especially in nesting season.
Locals told me to hold my hat up high with a stick when going close to a Skua's nest, because the Skua will attack the highest point of a suspected predator. I did get dive-bombed, but the "hat trick" worked.

Eric - are you sure those weren’t the Arctic Terns? The truly aggressive ones are the Great Skua (one made a go at our superjeep some years ago).
Title: Re: Go Away!
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 18, 2019, 12:43:49 pm
So, did the drone survive?

There wasn’t a collision, fortunately. I got the drone down quickly but not before getting my material.
Title: Re: Go Away!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 18, 2019, 04:12:10 pm
My Skua may have been a Great. He certainly was aggressive. I'll ask him next time I see him (or her.)