Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: James Clark on June 13, 2019, 05:59:24 pm

Title: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: James Clark on June 13, 2019, 05:59:24 pm
Shot on iPhone, because "the best camera..." etc.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 13, 2019, 06:18:48 pm
A very nice set.
Your iPhone must have good swings and tilts.   ;)
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: James Clark on June 13, 2019, 06:22:09 pm
A very nice set.
Your iPhone must have good swings and tilts.   ;)

HA!

The first has quite a bit cropped from the bottom, the third a bit less, the second I was standing on a wall to get a straight-on shot, and the fourth required quite a bit of keystone correction.  Good call, though :)

Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 13, 2019, 06:48:57 pm
Good stuff, James.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 14, 2019, 03:38:02 am
They're interesting shots of a spectacularly hideous building.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: 32BT on June 14, 2019, 03:40:57 am
WTF @ sky in #2???

How does that happen?
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Ivo_B on June 14, 2019, 09:21:58 am
A very fine set of long exposure architectural pictures.
(The second is delicious)
What filter do you use? Format Hitec Firecrest?

Cheers Ivo.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Ivo_B on June 14, 2019, 09:25:38 am
WTF @ sky in #2???

How does that happen?

I guess long exposure with a ND 10 or so. Check Joel Tjintelaar. 
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 14, 2019, 09:40:58 am
I guess long exposure with a ND 10 or so...

With an iPhone?
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: James Clark on June 14, 2019, 09:44:50 am
Good stuff, James.

Thanks Slobodan - it was a fun way to kill an hour or so.  I hadn't expected to have any time, but my hotel ended up being right next door so I got out early and accessed what I could.  Sadly, the interior was closed.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: James Clark on June 14, 2019, 09:46:18 am
They're interesting shots of a spectacularly hideous building.

Jeremy

Thanks, I think ;)

The building is hideous perhaps, but also one of the most important buildings in the States, architecturally, historically, and operationally.  I like London's National Theatre in the same brutalist style as well.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: James Clark on June 14, 2019, 09:52:08 am
A very fine set of long exposure architectural pictures.
(The second is delicious)
What filter do you use? Format Hitec Firecrest?

Cheers Ivo.

Thanks Ivo - I can't decide if I like the first or the second better.

32 - The skies are an approximation of a long exposure done after the fact via PS, but the originals were shot on iPhone.  The "real" skies were fine, but static and took away from the starkness of the buildings so I isolated them with a mask, then applied a motion filter and a blend into the sky space.  It's not perfect like it would be with a big ND, but it's abstract and I think the streakiness of the filter complements the image composition.

Back to Ivo - I generally use a LEE setup, but I've heard the Hitec filters are more color neutral, and I may give those a try one day.  :)
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Ivo_B on June 14, 2019, 12:00:35 pm
Thanks Ivo - I can't decide if I like the first or the second better.

32 - The skies are an approximation of a long exposure done after the fact via PS, but the originals were shot on iPhone.  The "real" skies were fine, but static and took away from the starkness of the buildings so I isolated them with a mask, then applied a motion filter and a blend into the sky space.  It's not perfect like it would be with a big ND, but it's abstract and I think the streakiness of the filter complements the image composition.

Back to Ivo - I generally use a LEE setup, but I've heard the Hitec filters are more color neutral, and I may give those a try one day.  :)

Well you surely got me fooled. Well done, I like the result.

Yes, the Hitec is practically color neutral. Expensive but much better than Lee.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: James Clark on June 14, 2019, 01:14:04 pm
Well you surely got me fooled. Well done, I like the result.

Yes, the Hitec is practically color neutral. Expensive but much better than Lee.

Appreciate the compliment, and any comparison to Tjintelaar I'll happily accept!  I need to check out that Hitec set. Lee has been the standard for so long that I just sort of lock in, but things are always changing.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Ivo_B on June 14, 2019, 02:54:41 pm
Appreciate the compliment, and any comparison to Tjintelaar I'll happily accept!  I need to check out that Hitec set. Lee has been the standard for so long that I just sort of lock in, but things are always changing.

I’m very happy with my firecrest set. Maybe I could show some of my attempts.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: James Clark on June 14, 2019, 06:14:10 pm
I’m very happy with my firecrest set. Maybe I could show some of my attempts.

Would love to see them!

Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 14, 2019, 08:16:05 pm
Wonderful set.
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: John R on June 14, 2019, 10:07:10 pm
Wonderful set.
Yes, very nice set.

JR
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: brandtb on June 16, 2019, 07:48:30 am
Nice
Title: Re: Light and Shadow at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA
Post by: James Clark on June 16, 2019, 10:51:39 am
Thanks Rajan, John, and  Brandt!